Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

For new instructors Powerpoints are a wonderful core to work from. If my class period is going to involve a lot of interactive I found I still have students "reader-writer" types (of which I am one) who want that paper to write on and review from. So I provide it on the computer Blackboard ahead of time for any given class. This way as they are reading the chapter(s) assigned they can be looking at the powerpoint and writing down any questions that come to mind.
During the class we will then play games (Millionaire is good as you have life lines, or Smarter Than a MA100 student" as there are saves, experts, etc) or any of the great games presented here.
Next week I will try the "word on the back" game.

Melody, using as many of the senses as possible is a good teaching strategy. Involving the students as often as possible is an effective approach. I particularly like the "Smarter Than a MA 100 Student", and I'm sure they do as well.

I find that the flip chart and ball toss activities are enjoyable to the students and keep them engaged. Varying the activities keeps them alert and awake also!!!

Variety is the key to keeping the interest and attention of students when content is hard, dry or technical in nature. Keep doing what you are doing.

When I use activity it wakes people up. I have allowed students to facilitate in some of our activities.

Waking people up engages them so they ate more likely to remember the content. Allowing them to teach each other also cements content in long term memory.

I might get a few people grumbling but overall peoplelike the activites. they like the change pace.

They not only enjoy learning activities, but they retain them more than any other method. I use them often and switch them up so future students are not expecting the same thing.

It's good to use a variety of activities for 2 reasons: others will not know what to expect and it will keep it interesting for you.

You can't please all the people all the time, but people do get accustomed in learning in active ways if we offer them the opportunity to learn this way.

I have done hangman before with different words from chapters we have covered. They seemed to like it but the only problem was that I told them what chapter I was getting the words from and they were counting the letters and guessing the words pretty easily..LOL!

Heather, your first attempt at hangman sounds good, but next time don't tell them the chapter number...lol.

I like to keep things fresh and interesting. Also, I like to ask my students for ideas. I love all of the group activities you have mentioned, especially the secret identity. I would like to implement some other games like "Operation", I think we could have fun with that. Also, possibly watching re-runs of sitcoms like ER and then commenting on all of the medical terms and what they mean. I enjoy being creative with my students.

Students love games. Participation has been very high in playing games. They love the challenge between the teams and the relationship that is gained by playing as team mates is important, and they gain a better understanding why team work is important in the working environment. My students have played "Who wants to be a Millionare", Hangman, Jeopardy, etc. I definitely will try the games that were presented in the module.

Creativity is a gift that students appreciate. Keep up the great work!

If your students like the games you are doing already, adding some new ones will be well recieved by them. Enjoy!

The students enjoy playing jeopardy. I am excited to utilize new games from this module like baseball, relay races, and football.

Enjoy the new formats, too.

In the morning these activites really help to get the student up and going. I believe also that it really helps student retain information in the review process. They have a fun way to think back to the answers whil taking there test.

Team activities benefit everyone..The shy students are given a voice, and much needed classmate interaction; and the more chatty or forthcoming students get a chance to talk in a productive manner..We all win!

Sign In to comment