Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I often utilize the term and definition matching card activity as a review prior to a quiz or test. The students are much more engaged in this activity then a simple review sheet which they fill out on their own.

Love it. They come to life. It also helps them to bond and form teams. I change up the members so that ultimately they had the opportunity to work with everyone.

Activities have been a great help for retention of information. I am looking forward to using the ball toss game as a method of including all students, especially those that are less vocal in class.

I have used several different activities to engage the students. And I find that they respond very well to them. I teach adults and their attention spands seem to be just as short as the younger students. And I also find that when you have a mixture of talkative students and those that are very quiet, it brings them all on the same level.

Paulie, equalizing the participation amongst all students is an important role of the teacher.

Michele Deck

Jennifer , getting everyone to participate even with different communication styles is an important job of the instructor.

Michele Deck

I have a mixed reponse usually. I'd say 75% of the class feels they are fun and informative while the rest think they are a waste of time. Those students that don't like the activities tend to bring down the game. Any suggestions on how to get them to at least participate without as much negativity?

erin, put people into teams to play. Be sure each team has some game friendly and not mixed in. Students care more about peers think and feel. This influence can change their attitudes.

Michele Deck

I have just started teaching med term for this mod. I used BINGO for a review game before the quiz. I have out a blank BINGO card, hand out a list that the students use to "fill" their card. Then I announce the definition. The class answers as a whole. I say "inflammation. The class says "itis" and marks it off. When the student has BINGO the student announces the word and gives the meaning. I access 1/4 point for student. Students really liked doing it. I will do it again. I also like to shout out "give me an -ology". The students then reply with all the ones they think of. As class progressies I will probably the same as white board work. Students are here for 4 hours and like that there is a game or two to break up the time.

Hi Karen
I am female and a HUGE baseball fan as are some of my female students. I will attempt the baseball game. I tend to try to avoid stereoptyping male and female sports fans.

serena, it is good that you have found a way to get the students involved, especially in 4 hour classes.

Michele Deck

I especially want to try out the crossword puzzles and word search. Thank you for those suggestions!!

Marilyn, as you can see from the many posts, educators have great results with these activities.

Michele Deck

I always get a positive response from students when we do an activity. Especially a group activity. Loved all of these ideas and I can't wait to use them in the upcoming classes. I want to try them all and see which ones get the best responses.

Carmela, thank you for your willingness to try something new.

Michele Deck

Varieties of activities are used for different students. My class activities are customized to fit student’s expectations, keep them engaged and motivated. I must be creative and present new ideas and activities every time, even when I am teaching the same topic.

Diego, that process will keep you fresh and interested in the topic you are teaching, even if teaching for 30 or more years as I have.

Michele Deck

I'm going to try the Secret Identity game. I have played this at my parties for an ice breaker.

Denise , since you have experience at parties, you could easily feel comfortable trying it with content.

Michele Deck

They enjoyed it. I usually do double jeopardy but the activities in this are great

Sign In to comment