Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have used guess who I am in the past. My students were really engage and excited. IT help with retaining information. It also broke the monotony of lecture:

Variety of methods is the key to retention, especially when lecture is long and technical. keep up the good work you have shared with me, I appreciate it.

I have not had the chance to use these techniques as yet, though I have seen them in use by other instructors. They do seem to be greatly appreciated by the students. I hope to be able to incorporate these ideas into my routine.

Bradley, the best way to implement one of these ideas is to apply it to part of your content that needs a change to be more effective. Choose just one idea that fits your style and personality and try it as soon as possible.

my response to active learning is usually positive. I like to use color particularly when teaching anatomy. I also use games such as baseball and sidewalk chalk when studying diseases. these methods seem to be effective.

Tricia, do you have them color in anatomy, or do you show them colored pictures? I'm interested in which you meant.

Students tend to resist role-playing, but enjoy "jeopardy" and other competitive activities

Sometimes you can change people perception of role playing by putting people in 2's, and all role play simultaneously...I call it "let's practice that..."

I have used a bean bag in the past, for spelling and pronouncing the terminology words. One student pronounces and then tosses to another student for the spelling. They pick form our spelling list for that week.

I have found that the class becomes very animated. They joke and prod each other, and enjoy the "thrill" of victory. Also, the time moves by much faster. I have used a variation of "Jeopardy" and achieved these results. I like some of the other game options mentioned in this module;relay race looks like a simple enough game to start with. Finding some of the game formats online is a good way to add new games, thanks for the suggestions, any other websites that you know about?

I have found a variety of shareware by elementary schools by googling k-12 jeopardy or millionaire, or other game show names.

Most of my learners really enjoy the break from the typical lecture. I notice that it reinforces the lecture and the information tends to stick with the student better as a result

They love it! I've had students tell me my classes were their favorite, because I always include something fun. They tell me it's much better than me just standing at the podium speaking.

Yes, Dawn, sticking with the student is our ultimate goal. I hope this course gave you some ideas you can use

I'm sure your students appreciate your approach.

I have not used any of the games suggested from here but have used games in the past. I am excited to try these new ones.
I have found teaching a night class that the students are tired and fade as the evening goes on. I believe some of these games will get their energy levels up and get their minds working.

I have never used these activities, but am excited to try them. It will make such a difference in class. When a class is 5 hours long it needs some stimulators to keep the class interested. These are really great.

a five hour class requires a variety of teaching methods. Thanks for working to keep their attention, Peggy!

My student love any game I use to help them learn. Games are one of the modes to cross all ages in this field.

Games are the great equalizer.

Sign In to comment