Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kellie, I like that you have the students summarizing to reinforce and evaluate what they rememeber.

To reinforce anatomic terminology, I'll have a break-out session, with an activity envelope on each table. I have prepared sets of terms and their definitions on slips of paper. Each category, along with an answer key is kept in a different envelope (i.e. Directional terms: anterior/posterior/superior/inferior/distal/proximal) The students move from one station to the next, and try to match up the term to its definition, then check themselves against the answer key.

When demonstrating massage moves, I have the students do a round robin to get familiar with different body types and how they react to varying pressures and applications.

Have the class take a break and when they regather, make a list of what has been accomplished and what is yet to be done and take it from there.

I like this idea.

I have the students switch groups and answer different questions about the same material. When they need to work with different groups, they cannot rely on the same person always answering and get to play different parts.

Melissa, great point to make. Mixing students has many benefits.

I admit that I have not done any hands on learning outside of skills lab. I am looking forward to trying some. I think the most helpful piece here will be the ABG go fish. Always looking for another way to help students with this topic.

I agree, activities should be used with the challenging topic like ABGs.

Great idea. Also having the students "teach" what they learned helps to reinforce the lesson.

Yes, teach backs are great strategies.

We stand up and stretch the muscles we have just gone over

I use a variety of techniques to refocus learners. I like to use experience stories that relate to the particular topic and then I offer the students the opportunity to share experience stories on the topic if they have one they care to share. At other times I may put a main topic on the board with related subtopics and ask them to fill in the details with what they know of the topic. I have them add, one at a time, a piece to the information to any of the subtopics and write these on the board. Then I let them know as a group how well they have done, how much of the information they had as a group and I fill in missing pieces. I then open the topic up for questions and sharing.

Jeanne, I appreciate your sharing your teaching strategies.

I like to stop periodically and summarize things we've reviewed. I ask questions and have them apply their critical thinking skills. I like to break things up, so the information they're getting doesn't get to overwhelming, and also assess that they've understood what we've been doing up until that point.

Having the students get up and review by reteaching what has been taught is a great way to review but also a diffrent tone.

"what stood out"?? when we've had a knock'em out day of various lectures and activities, and they are soo ready to go home.I do what stood out-what made an impact on your life today that even now your still thinking about it.This gets them going and thinking about stories that were told and how it affected them to do something different.Putting them in a space where they (realistically) see themselves in the senario.Different ways to handle a situation that may come up,that maybe would have been delt with differently if not pre discussed. It really lightens they're load it seems to get others opinions and even laugh at themsevles about things they would've normally not handle well.

Learners must have breaks during long time spans of hands on content (or any content for that matter). After the break is over, using a quick review/or discussion about what they just completed is a way to break it up. Everything should be connected and brought together before moving forward to new hands-on contact.

Good point. Nothing like exercise to break up the lesson and teach something at the same time. Outside - even better.

Joshua, I agree that a physical and mental break is essential at intervals so that students brains can download information.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment