Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I incorporate games to reinforce the text and hands-on learning. In that way, I cover every type of learning style and help reinforce what we discussed.

I like the "ABG Go Fish" idea and could tweak the content and process for customized utilization and refocus for my students during clinical rotation.

Unidad (Ning), I'm glad you like this idea.

Michele Deck

I use a lot of role playing in my class. The addition of some of these games will make it a little more interesting and memorable.

After hands on activities I like to discuss or have students discuss what exactly we learned or accomplished. This could be done verbally or maybe a word puzzle that touches on the highlights! Great ideas,, I going to try incorporating some of these into my lessons. Thanks.

I use the jeporady game with some really good critical thinking questions. The students really get into it and become very competitive. the reward for a game well played is either cookies or candy.

Denise, using critical thinking questions in a fun format, equals successful learning.

Michele Deck

Always review some of the previous days information and then have students add to it. We have used the "bone" song, hip bone connected to the knee bone, etc. Pin the label on the skeleton, name the lumps, bumps and grooves on the skeleton. Label all parts of the electric circuit for the production of x-rays. The students enjoys getting up and challenging their peers.

MARIANNE, I like the label the parts idea you have described here.

Michele Deck

I cann't wait to try baseball in the class. We play jeporady as a reveiw and as the classes move through all get excited to play. But I am anxious to try something different. this course has given me alot of new ideas. Thanks

Denise, I'm glad it has offered you ideas you can use.

Michele Deck

I usually have them stand up, take a second and stretch and we all do it together. Then we can talk about what we've learned and continue on.

As a clinical instructor, I don't usually experience this particular situation. However, I do like the idea of Macarena song which can be uesful to help students to recite anesthesia landmarks.

Lisa, I like that you have applied this to your anesthesia landmarks.

Michele Deck

I debrief or round my students at the end of a long clinical period. We (faculty) try to focus on the things that went well, and build upon the things that did not go so well. During this time I like to thank my students for their hard work and remind them about the importance of their professionalism/dedication to their education.

William, showing appreciation for hard work is a skill that needs more modeling in clinical settings. Thank you for sharing this positive method!

Michele Deck

I use the summary at end of class. I ask each student to pick one point they learned today with no repeats. This way almost all points are covered.

I stop do some type of game to help reiterate the learning process.

Take a break, when the students return go over briefly what was discussed and ask the students what they learned or what stood out to them.

Kyle, calling a for a break can give students s chance to think about what they have learned and recall what is most important.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment