Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dr. Cheryl, I really like this application of a hands on skill to Bingo. You are a terrific teach and I appreciate your ideas.

Michele Deck

WENDY, thank you for sharing this hands on teaching idea. It is best to take the hard concepts as you describe here and make them interactive.

Michele Deck

Wendy, your are describing a method that you use that develops critical thinking skills. These are essential on the job skills. Thanks for sharing!

Michele Deck

I teach dental assisting. I use Playdoh during my lecture on tooth anatomy. After we discuss each strucure we build it out of Playdoh. Each student has a completed, colorful tooth at the end! The students respond positive to the lesson and retain the information.

Theresa, this is such a great hands on idea!

Michele Deck

The t-shirt method could be adapted to our content. The teacher could have the students pick a partner (same sex). Each student would draw the organs and bones on their partners t-shirt with permanant markers made for clothing.

I really like the t-shirt idea especially for learning proper placement of the stethescope for assessment of heart and lung sounds!!

Another method I have used for teaching blood flow through the heart is to print the name of each structure on a card and apply a magnet to the back of each. Then have the students practicing putting the structures in the proper order on the white board. This is a nice way to do it because it is a hands on way to review proper order and the students can repeat the process as many times as they need to get it in the proper order. I have even taken it a step further and once they get it in the proper order I have the normal hemodynamic values for each stucture on seperate cards and i have the students put the normal value with the corresponding structure in the heart. It has been a wonderful way for them to review!!

I have also used this same technique for students to review the structures of the tracheal bronchial tree.

Kimberly, I love that you are using the normal hemodynamic values in each structure, and will try that.

Michele Deck

Lynn, I'm glad this is adaptable to your content.

Michele Deck

I agree, I do the same thing for MA students it makes a big difference because you are not only talking about it but making them do it. They get a better grasp of the procedures and understand better the reasoning behind it.

Laura, clinical reasoning is an essential skill, and you are developing it in your students.

Michele Deck

I think the best adaptation for me would be more small group discussions I believe that would help my students to interact more on a positive level.

I teach maternity so I am planning on using this sheet to draw all the male and female reproductive sites

Thanks for your great idea! I also teach nutrition and I had thought of using the t-shirt also for the digestive tract. Your idea will be really fun.

I am determined to think of an exercise using jello and candy to teach medical coding....and preferably in the beginning of my course. The students are always nervous to take this course as they really didn't think they needed to know any coding or billing....using an exercise and making it fun with jello or candy would be unexpected and would ease their anxiety for certain.

I think the king size sheet with the heart is the best method for me to adapt with currently. I hope it will really help them to visulize the circulatory system!

Leslie, it will definitely teach them to visualize the system.

Michele Deck

A core class that I teach is Medical Terminology. I plan to use the t-shirt assessment in this class. I will change in up a bit though. I plan to have the students label the organs and bones with the proper root words for each in addition to having them properly located.

Georgiajo, I think labeling the root words is a wonderful addition to this activity.

Michele Deck

The t shirt idea is a great one cos it alows them to have fun while learning the different organs. It allows them "hands on" skills in a different way.

Sign In to comment