Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I use BB collaborate, BB instant messenger, Panopto for video recording my lectures, Utube videos, I also use polleverywhere in my classroom.

PowerPoint is now getting outdated, and I am trying to get prezi lectures.

Many schools actually ban the use of electronic devices during class time to stop students from being distracted. The challenge is finding the balance of using electronic devices for class related projects without the students becoming distracted by outside influences.

Gregory,

I have heard that- it is a shame because utilizing electric devices for academic purposes is a great way to keep students engaged and comfortable with the learning environment. I fully understand not accepting the use of phones to check personal emails or to text during class time.

Here is a great resources that allows students to turn their smart devices into learning resources:
http://www.socrative.com/
user guide: http://www.socrative.com/materials/SocrativeUserGuide

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Harpreet,

i see you are taking advantage of several of the tools out there that assist with 21st century teaching and learning! I myself have not used Panopto, but I have read great things about it. Do you personally use the online video editing tool? If so, do you find it user friendly for inexperienced editors?

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

When I do bring tech into lessons, it helps to clearly define the goal you have for them in regards to how they will be using the said technology to compliment the learning process. I also give an anecdotal story about how I used to teach the subject matter in the past. If they know what the end game will be, they generally get why they are performing the task that you're requiring of them. At least, in my experience.

But it certainly is a thin line.

You tube videos are both entertaining and educational. I also keep students interested with posting their successes on instagram!

YouTube is definitely a helpful tool. I suggest finding videos that confirm your theories and are in line with the way that you demonstrate skills. The benefit of this is after you show your students your demonstration, they can go home and view the same demo on YouTube. This is a great way to reenforce concepts.

we are using software such as camptasia to create video presentations and then decision making processes in our learning environments. The use of technology has allowed us to put out shorter training topics to a wide spread audience without long drives.

I teach the same subjects at two different colleges. I have added podcasts and video clips to my lectures, however I never know from one day to the next if Internet access will be available at one of the schools. How do I stay relevant and on-task when the equipment is not always reliable?

We utilize power point and book knowledge, but have found that YouTube videos and outside videos increase their knowledge of the actual procedure being coded in classroom. Using videos and games for memorization purposes helps also.

Not only do I utilize some Prezi style presentations, our campus is looking into polling software. We have already trialed it and the software was a hit. It allowed us to place questions within PowerPoint presentations, poll the class, and view instant results or feedback. It allows the educator to see if comprehension of the topic was achieved. If most students answered incorrectly it would allow for more discussion on the topic. This is a great new technology that is available now.

Since I teach mostly teens out of high school I will at times during extended lecture have them use their electronic devices to look up the answers to difficult subjects. I break them up into groups and give them a time limit to find the answer and depending what we find we expand our knowledge out further. I allow one thing to build off the other to have a more proactive environment.

At this point I have used current technologies available (Google, FB etc....)
I am attempting to construct a topic specific interactive system for the student to learn SCADA with.
Simulators will be next to help with turbine functions.

We are lucky at Missouri College, I teach as one of our Dental Faculty, and we now have Digital X-Rays. Seems small but I do believe if you have cutting edge technology in the classroom the students stay engaged and the belief that they are getting a "real world" education is there. When the students want to come to class because they don't want to miss something, thats what we are stiving for. I also believe it makes a student more confident in their being prepared and confident to do their chosen job. It is totally a win / win situation.

Besides having all my lectures on power point, I have also created games to help them with studying for tests. For example I have created my own jeapordy board online that we play for quiz reviews; a game that most students have seen or at least heard about. They get competitive with each other for the points even though there is no physical prize besides gaining knowledge.

To reinforce the lesson(s), for fun and to see what is retained, I will use a free software called "Stu's Quiz Boxes". It is a "jeopardy -type" program that is freely available.

I created for a few classes some quizzes and they have gone over great.

I frequenly rely on lectures and interviews available online to reinforce concepts.

I have used facebook in an assignment where students create company facebook profiles in a closed group setting to encourage students to create professional posts that will attract attention and followers. We do it as a closed group to illuminate personal setting information, but wish we could have a larger viewing group to have more feedback.

As an instructor, you should research and join gropus/societies that offer training or information on new technologies as they become available. Sometimes this requires you to do more Continuing Education than required but it will keep your students motivated and interested in your course.

We are limited to what can be brought into class as far as tech is concerned because we are a Culinary school. Computers really get gummed up with grease in this environment. However what they do always have is a smart phone these days and we have wifi. What I have tried to do was when a student did not know something during a class and niether did anyone else, I call for a tech race and they have to race to who can find the answer first on their phone. I get strange looks from some of my older peers but the students come with the answer quickly and learn how to use their phones in a positive purpose.

Sign In to comment