Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As an educator I incorporate technology along with the VAK system coupled with critical thinking focus group learning. Therefore, my students receive three styles of teaching which could fit their learning preference with technology components to engage and ensure they become technically savvy in utilizing online resources to help with projects and research based class work. I have also encouraged my students to use dropbox.com. Due to the fact alot of my students may have a problem with access to off campus computers and dropbox is a virtual storage unit with all of your files that can be accessed from anywhere and shared with anyone that also have dropbox and it is user friendly. I contribute too teaching them about free software and technical use of online resources.

V= Visual Learner (someone who need visible Queues to connect information)
PowerPoint slides: (computer component) animations which connect emphasized points during the discussions
Mind maps: (Color, mnemonic devices, charting)
Embedded Movie clips
Threaded discussion: posting a class topic on engrade (online education and tutorial system)

A=Audio learner (someone who gets the most out lectures and speeches)
Lecture (use of PowerPoints and handouts)
Embedded movie clips
Class or group discussion: (group) Use search engine to generate information regarding a given topic and present to the class solutions to the scenario. The group activity will encourage critical thinking and problem solving along with a technical component.

K= Kinesiology (learning by movement or motion by application of learning)
Applying what you learn in a physical sense
-presentations
-projects
-research papers

I have an iPad that I have incorporated into my classroom. There is an app that I can share with my students who have smartphones or tablets that allows us to access each other outside of the classroom and share ideas, concerns and tips for upcoming assignments and tests. Since not all students can afford these types of devices, I connect my presentation from my iPad into my classroom LED monitor which allows all to see my presentations with embeded videos and graphics. I find this keeps the students' attention must better than just straight lecture.

I always try to incorporate the latest technologies by using on-line videos, Webinars, HVAC-News articles on the web and new controls software training videos to keep the students engaged.

For me as an educator, I am always looking for new technologies to engage my class. I know if I get bored easily with the same old routine, I can only imagine how my students feel. For one of my classes, I started using Edmodo and it allowed my students to be more actively engaged in the course instead of relying solely on my lecture to grasp an understanding of the material. Also I love to incorporate project-based learning ideas that allow the students to come up with their own ideas for how to tackle to task that they have been assigned.

I'm using mixed types of technologies such you tube as a social network, power point, my software using overhead projector and some time using music associated with the topics

As primarily a Distance Learning (DL) educator, I normally apply blogging, video clips, student discussions, etc., throughout the course. I encourage peer interaction, including sharing required paper drafts, sharing video and audio links, etc.

Hello!
I use ample powerpoints, interactive quizzes, you tube videos, some audio, and most effective: handson learning using graphics for concepts such as grammatical terms (no one likes to learn this :)) Using these technologies really enhances my classroom and makes learning fun, dare I say!
Megan

Quebec,

Edmodo is a fantastic resource for sharing and collaborating. I find the app easy to navigate, and a great tool for grade tracking. Thanke for sharing!

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

Ahmed,

Very interesting you bring up learning through music, which is a very successful tool when teaching young children new concepts. I read this article some time back- you may find it interesting:
http://neurosciencenews.com/neuroscience-music-enchances-learning-neuroplasticity/

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

Megan,

Great! I also rely on graphics when teaching difficult concept and find it a successful tool, especially when paired with examples on video, when possible. Teaching and learning with technology does enhance the teaching and learning experience, and whenever we have the opportunity to infuse hands-on learning, we are challenging our students to apply concepts taught in class to ensure they fully grasp the material.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I do take a few technology courses each year to stay current on Smartboard technology advances as well as interactive powerpoints or videos.
Megan

Yes iI have incorporated new technologies.I use U Tube videos,Evolve resorces and Encourage students to use ATI.All of them help in getting them engaged and also critically think.These methods improve students involvement and their understnding as well.

Neelam,

Wonderful to hear you are utilizing so many resources to keep your students engaged. It sounds as if you are reaching students that are both visual, audible, and kinesthetic learners through your lessons.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

I use SMART Board to present my lessons. The students seem to enjoy and prefer this tool. Using a digital ink (with multiple colors) makes the learning a visual experience for my students and helps them to better understand the course material.

I use powerpoint slides that include not just written information but videos and pictures. I have also used online forums to do case studies, where the student has to read the case study and give their input about them. They can also see what other students have posted.

Maksuda,

Fantastic! I find forums/discussion boards a great tool for keeping students engaged outside of the classroom. I am in the habit of posting two questions a week and asking students to reply to my original post and reply to a classmate. This encourages interaction between the students outside of class time and sparks conversation at the start of each class.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

One aspect that has been received well with students is having them create power points on a subject rather than writing term papers. Students appear to become more engaged preparing the power point as opposed to the dreaded, traditional term paper.

Jeff

Many of my cohorts create a media page in which they can contact eachother and keep up with school related activities as well as eachother personally. It creates a team environment.

In Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology I use an interactive virtual dissection program. This allows the student multiple attempts at taking apart and reconstucting the animal body. The repetition builds memory, while the activity itself builds understanding of the location of body parts and their relationship to other parts.

I have used something called turning point technology which the school has purchased. This utilizes clickers which each of the students have to enter their answers to questions I incorporate in a powerpoint. This tallies their answers and projects the percentage of answers for each choice onto the screen so both I and the students can see which areas need to be addressed further. I have also used free jeopardy software online as well as a template for powerpoint. There are free apps which do this as well such as socrative which students can use their smartphones or tablets to answer questions. (all of my students have one of these, if they didn't a laptop can be used in place of this)

Sign In to comment