Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Matthew,

Having students look up topics on their smartphones and share their findings with the class is a great idea; thank you for sharing this best practice.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Janet,

In your position, I am sure educating students on copyright information and plagiarism is crucial, especially in their first few months as a college student. If possible, please share some links to these resources that you find most useful to students.

Theresa Schmitt

I teach English Composition in an Arts and Design college, so naturally my students are not thrilled with my material. My grammar textbook is especially bad, with no exercises included with which to practice the concepts and rules it discusses. I use an e-book which has excellent exercises, showing the material on the white board and discussing each sentence with the class. Through examining sentences and working through solutions together, we have a solid participatory classroom activity, with a pleasant question and answer session.

Also, my school provides a program called "My Foundations Lab," which allow me to assign homework which can be done on-line, printed out, and turned in to me the next class period. This gives the student additional opportunity during the week to practice the concepts we studied in class.

I am looking forward to investigating the various websites you have so far suggested: Lynda.com, internet4classroom.com, and teachhub.com.

I have incorporated videos, power point presentations and crossword puzzles into many of my classes.

Most of my lectures are presented by powerpoint, but recently I have been incorporating more video's, music, and visuals to stimulate the environment.

Randy,

The ebook you use in class sounds like a fantastic resources. My Foundations Lab is a great tool for students to practice concepts taught in class and perhaps spend some time reinforcing basic concepts taught in high school. Many students graduate from high school and enroll in college only to find out they do not place into college-credit English classes. My Foundations can definitely help students build skills that bridge the gap between sentence-level skills and vocabulary and writing complex essays.

Theresa Schmitt

I am very limited in what can be incorporated. Your course has given me insight into options I did not know were available. I am very interested in moving forward with this.
Thanks

YouTube and for those who have iPads, iPhones, or iPods, iTunesU. There are some great videos on basic knife cuts, cooking techniques, etc. That way my students are able to go over what I've covered in class outside of the classroom and practice at home. It's hands-on homework.

Mike,

Glad to hear you are taking away some tools that may be incorporated into your curriculum.

Theresa Schmitt

Anthony,

YouTube is a fantastic resource for tutorials, and cooking demos are quite popular. Are there any channels you subscribe to that you would recommend and can share with the group?

Theresa Schmitt

We encourage the use of electronic service manuals as opposed to paper manuals, also we use online training videos followed up by a test all taken online to aide with the hands on projects.

Jonathon,

It is very convenient that most manuals are now available in a PDF format. Sounds like you are utilizing technology to your advantage in your program of study!

Theresa Schmitt

I have incorporated interactive online multimedia learning modules as a review for the course. The modules combine text, images, narration, matching drag and drop exercises for the students to review and test themselves on information before they move to the next question or information. The students are engaged And excited about it. They are self paced activities allowing students to move quickly through material they know, and review the material they don't know as many times as they would like. I created the learning modules with Adobe captivate following the information I presented in PowerPoint presentations.

I found using E-book is good because has teacher support and you can show slide and break the class up into groups and do group projects.Students love it.

I have incorporated technology into my class by using interactive math online programs with my students. By doing this they can work at their own pace, use a multitude of self help tools and ask for help on discussion boards from fellow students and from me.

Sherry,

How I wish this technology existed while I was an undergrad and struggled with math! Adaptive solutions for math, reading and English have become customary in high schools and institutions of higher learning, and for good reason- it works.

Below is a link that leads to a brief overview on the subject with additional link for more in-depth information for those not familiar with the technology:
https://www.edsurge.com/adaptive-learning

Theresa Schmitt

All of my lecture is presented with powerpoint but I would like to include more videos and other technologies. I also teach a class that involves the students completing many online training exams and simulations which i feel helps keep the course interesting.

I use a smart board in my class. I use video either through a stream or DVD player. I teach computer graphics, we have updated software and hardware to work with. I often use the internet to pull up tutorials and web samples, art historical facts, definitions etc. We create animations and interactive websites and links to be uploaded onto websites. I use projectors, monitors to project student work and to put it up for critique.

Kimberly,

I would suggest looking for inspiration on the various sites mentioned in the 'Teaching with Technology' section of this course. Although many sites lean towards K-12, there are some fantastic resources and links to educational videos and lesson plans that encourage group learning.

Your in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

Laura,

It sounds as if you have fully embraced the benefits various forms of technology and media can bring into a classroom. Any tutorials and samples you would like to share with the group would be appreciated!

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

Sign In to comment