Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jeffrey,

I find great success when assigning PowerPoints as well. Through trial and error I have designed very detailed project outlines to ensure the presentation demonstrates the student understands the material.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

Louise,

That is fantastic! I agree a page such as this strengthens the bond faculty members share. Thank you very much for sharing.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

Kirsten,

"Clickers" are a lot of fun and can be a great learning experience. Tech gadgets such as this keep class time interactive and promotes conversation among learners.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

In the tech-heavy classes that requires computers, we're all using Photoshop, and my desktop is projected which is really great for demos. Beyond that, I've learned how to use Excel to put together grades but am interested in learning on how to use it to make better grade reports that are more automated, and can somehow send grading info on the fly.

Mark,

YouTube has many videos that may assist you with your goal of mastering Excel. I personally find the Motion Training channel very helpful: http://www.youtube.com/user/MotionTraining

Theresa Schmitt

I incorporate ppt, u-tube, facebook, video, document camera, as well as on-line testing and discussions.

We started a student blog about a year ago. I don't see it being used much. It's really only summaries being posted from the day's lecture. I am hoping this course will give me some ideas to get students more involved in the blog. I think it would be a great place for them to interact with the other students from the other campuses and see if they are having the same struggles/successes all over.

As a technology teacher, I have used online simulation and online forums to engauge my students. I have found that the more that you let them do via technology the more that they remember.

When I know that I am going to be showing a web based demo/tutorial or example in class - I make sure that I use some of the tasks and relevant terms in the class prior to showing the media content to reiterate the importance of them. It is amazing how something is true once someone other than a teacher tells you so.

I have had my students find Youtube videos for assignments and even done polls in class where the data is collected directly from their phones after a text message. In the future, I plan to create a Facebook page for my students, which I hope will keep them engaged with the end of term project that I would like for them to submit.

One new technology I find especially useful is online assignment submittal. Not only does it save time from having to collect assignments at the beginning or end of class, but I find it takes some of the perceived pressure of the assignments off of students. Instead of having to rush to finish by the end of class or having to worry about remembering to bring it with them next session, they have the freedom to explore, complete and submit their assignment at their own pace.

We utilize iPad tech in and out of the classroom, in the class I occasionally have to Facetime with absent students, out of class the eText book option is available so the students can read and research via the internet material covered during class.

I allow students to look up answers to questions that they don' know the answer to on their smart phones. All of the students these day have a smart phone with the ability to access the internet. finding the answer or at lease know where to look is the key to learning. I allow smart phones to be used.

Ronda,

It sounds as if you have really embraced technology in the classroom! Please come back and let us know how the Facebook page and class blog are received by your classes next term.

Theresa Schmitt

Michael,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with tablet computers. Skype and Facetime are wonderful tools for educators, especially in an online environment when a student needs additional one on one assistance. I have a son in college and he only purchases ebooks, when available- this trend appears to be the norm with many Millennials in school today.

Theresa Schmitt

Brenda,

I do the same during group project time in class, listing reputable sources on the board to ensure the information they are gathering is accurate. I find Google Scholar is a fantastic resource!

Theresa Schmitt

We do use Google scholar but I also allow any other resource that ends in .org or .edu. When a student looks something up we discuss what site they are using and whether it is appropriate or not. It helps them realize not everything on the internet is reliable and also how to determine if the information is to be believed.

In one school all the plain "white boards" have been replaced by the "SMARTBOARDS" and the Math program, in particular, has adopted a series that is almost totally computer generated. I still use the part of the regular white board for reinforcement!
In a different school I've made 4 of my graded quizzes (2 for each class) to be completed and graded online.

Yes students are required to creative a video resume in the speech class.

My curriculum is also very limiting in what I can add or change. We do use interactive online learning and a presentation format similar to PowerPoint but is locked down and not editable. The options presented in this course show how things could change in the future with some persuasion.

Sign In to comment