Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comment on April Quinton's post: I have learned a new concept to cultural competency because many students need instructors to know and understnad their differences on many levels. By that, we as instructors can be more flexible in the learning envoronment.

Comment on Eleta Reed-Morgan's post:  Each student have their own differences and ways they learn so we as instructors need to understand it and assist with it. 

It is important to treat all students equally and fairly.

Give everyone the opportunity to further their knowledge and understanding.

I believe that everyone does have the ability to benefit from the educational experience although if students are treated fairly and with respect the learning environment is ineffective

Look on potentials not weaknesses, help students overcome their weaknesses. 

I have learned the importance of respecting each person as the unique individual they are; to examine my own thoughts as to what or who an individual is based on preconceived or ingrained notions, and to allow for differences in educational processes and pedagogy to enable all to thrive and be successful in my classes.

Diversity and Inclusion is part of our culture. We have to learn to understand and respect everybody

Cultural competence is a requirement in any sector a person find him or herself because of the multicultural nature of the US.

Building cultural competency in instructors is essential for creating inclusive and effective learning environments. Applying Professional development, Self-Reflection, Exposure to Diversity and Inclusion, Collaboration and Support, and Feedback into our personal development growth plan will prioritize the development of cultural competency among instructors, educational institutions can create more inclusive and equitable learning environments.  

Equity is not the same as equality. I think that is important.

While you may see everyone for who they are, it may not be their life's experience. Take the time to get to know the individual, appreciate what you can learn from them and reciprocate by sharing the knowledge you possess.

Use each teaching/learning experience to gain the most you can out of it. Knowledge is free and something that no one can take away once it is learned.

I am going to better create an environment of equal learning in a diverse classroom by understand my students individual backgrounds. 

Demonstrating empathy towards others' perspectives and experiences, fostering a supportive and inclusive environment.

I think self awareness is key to implementing cultural competency.  Cultural competency gives you the tools to consider alternate perspectives than your own inherent biases.

Awareness: Recognizing one's own cultural biases and assumptions.
Respect: Valuing diverse perspectives and backgrounds.
Communication: Effectively engaging with students from different cultures.
Adaptability: Adjusting teaching methods to accommodate diverse learners.
Inclusion: Creating a welcoming environment for all students.

Comment on Cheryl Herrington's post: Yes I feel we need to support students so that they are able to pusue their goals

Comment on Cheryl Herrington's post: Yes, I think by treating students with respect and understanding has always been a positive outcome

Promote self awareness within students teach them efforts and outcomes  encourage passions 

Sign In to comment