Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

English Language Learners (ELL) | Origin: ED202

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching English Language Learners --> English Language Learners (ELL)

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

English learners as a second language will probably be able to speak first than to be able to read or write proficiently in English.

Therefore, teachers must understand this and adapt their classes to this handicap presented by these students.

As the need to be able to learn English well in a world where this is the absolute international language, students from all over the world will be more frecuent in our classrooms.

First, we must respect cultural differences before beginning to teach those whose native language is not English. 

Respect for cultural differences should be at the forefront of a classroom. 

ELL often take years to master the level of proficiency. They're often unaware of the cultural differences and respect should be given to those learners.

It is important to recognize each students different needs to help facilitat learning.

It's important to understand ELL different needs and how they learn best.

ELL students will obviously have more difficulty learning English the older they are.  They will be able to speak it before reading or writing it.  As educators, understanding their culture is a huge help with the process.

We need to respect all cultures and understand that it is a long process for them to be familiar with the new language.

In my first year of teaching at the high school level, I had one student who was an in ELL. With great respect to his goal in learning as much as he could in my classroom. I had to remember his pace of remembering our subject was slower and difficult due to reading and writing in the English language in itself. 

This module helped me realize how coming from a different culture can impact how you learn. 

ELL students may take years to develop a level of proficiency. It is a process that requires the development of several skills.

ELL students will learn to speak English for social interaction but struggle with class content. Students must develop vocabulary and know that proficiency is not a quick process.

ELL students need time and respect for the challenge of learning a whole new language.  Students must develop a new vocabulary which takes time.  Alway respect cultural differences.

We need to remember that ELLs are students from diverse cultural backgrounds that have varying academic, language, and social-emotional needs.  As most ELL students are learning English, most of them have developed basic communication skills in English. However, they still struggle with academic language and tougher academic subjects. 

ELL come from different cultural backgrounds.  It does make it difficult for a student to try to assimilate into an English speaking society.  There are many factors that affect the student.  It does take years for an ELL to fully understand how to communicate effectively in an English speaking society.  It's not an easy task to accomplish.

iT IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THAT ELL BACKGROUNDS ALL DIFFER IN CULTURE AND VOCABULARY INTERPRETATION.

WE MUST PRACTICE PATIENCE AND REMEMBER THAT CHANGE AND ACCEPTANCE TAKES TIME.

It is important to understand the culture and bacground of your students. It will take some time for the ELL student to be able to fully communicate in English.

It is important to recognize and work with in their culture.

Teachers need to realize that reaching ELL students can take time.

Sign In to comment