Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Physical Disabilities | Origin: ED201

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Students with Disabilities in the Classroom --> Physical Disabilities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

From this topic I have learned a great deal. I learned teh different forms of disabilities I may witness in the classroom. I have also learned how to accommodate different students with different disabilities. It will be important to discuss the accommodations with them and apply them to the classroom. 

In this section, I learned other ways to accommodate individuals with special needs.  I also learned the difference between a deaf person and a Deaf person.  I never knew there was a difference.  Now that I am aware of the various possibilities for accommodations, I will work on a list of feasible accommodations our organization can provide for the different disabilities so that we can make our classroom environment accessible to all.

Samantha

In this section Ilearned that students have special needs. Some student may need accomodations so that they can acieve. As the teracher I have to be mindful of this ans assist students as needed. I can always seek assistance from nurse and special ed teahers

This section taught me that there is a difference between "deaf" and "Deaf". I had absolutely no dea! The accommodations that need to be in place for hearing or sight impairment are, in a lot of cases, based on consideration for the student. Also, it is best that the educator speaks with the student to get the best idea of what the student needs instead of making accommodations based on their own understanding of what is needed.

I will continue to monitor my students in the classrooms to help identify the students that might have problems seeing or hearing because they may not have been addressed up to that point. (I currently do not have any students with these type disabilities.)

I LEARNED THAT DIABILITIES CAN BE INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL, AND VISIBLE OR NON-VISIBLE IN NATURE. ALL STUDENTS NEED TO BE SERVED IN A FASHION THAT WILL ENCOURAGE AND ALLOW THEM TO REACH A LEVEL OF ACHIEVEMENT AND SATISFACTION, WHILE LEARNING HOW TO COPE WITH THEIR LIMITATIONS.

There are very helpful tips when instucting student who may be Deaf, hard of hearing, blind or have vision impairments.  Additionally, there are specific accommodations people need with physical disabilities.  Being knowledgeable about the best practices to use when teaching people who need accommodations is necessary for student success.  

I have learned and appreciated detailed examples of how to provide accommodations for the wide range of students with specific disability type

There are many different physical disabilities to take note of and learned some methods to accomodate them in the classroom to make them feel comroftable.

It is important for the teacher to be aware of the accomodations and to possibly make adjustments where needed. its not a one size fits all type of scnario. there are so many things for teachers to be aware of espcially with someone who is blind or Deaf.

There are many methods that one must learn in order to help accommodate the many physical disabilities that one may encounter in a class room.

There are several types of dissabilities and we need to make sure we can accomodate them to the best of our ability.

This discussion is so informative and accommodations for students with disabilities is so important for their needs .

Accomodation is important in student with disabilites' success in the classroom 

There many different areas of DISABILITIES, some physical, emotional/ psychological and all require different recognition as to properly deal with and make the appropriate accommodations, when necessary.

Physical disabilities are challenging.

I learned some ways of accomodating students with different types of disabilities.

I was interested to know that a buddy system could be used as an accomodation for some students.

In this section, I learned that there are a number of different disabilities, with a wide range of accommodations that can be used to effectively reach those students. I also learned that there is actually a difference between a deaf person and a Deaf person. I would have never known that, had I not read this section. It really is both humbling and empowering to know that there is so much that I don't know about certain disabilities but there is also a great deal of material that will assist me in the future, when I have students with special needs in my classroom.

Physical disabilities can hinder many tasks, but a person's task should not be hindered by the perception of a physical disability.

Sign In to comment