Physical Disabilities | Origin: ED201
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Students with Disabilities in the Classroom --> Physical Disabilities
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
we are required by state law to accomodate a student with special physical needs
Physical disabilities can affect students in different ways and the biggest challenge is not always the disability itself. Sometimes it's the barriers in the learning environment. I intend to apply this by paying more attention to the physical layout of my classroom and making adjustments when needed. I also want to look for ways to adapt projects or equipment when needed while still allowing students to develop the skills they need in the workplace.
I learned that people with disabilities may need special accommodations and way to reach those accommodations.
Each student who encounters a disability will need special accomodations. The accomodations vary depending on the individual.
Accommodations are not a one size fits all. Students may have the same disability but require different levels of support. Adapt based on what they share and what the ADA says they need support with.
There's various accommodations (simple, complex) for students with auditory and vision disabilities that are not all complex technology. Seating arranged to maximize lip ready helps.
How the different disabilities affect the students. I have a better understanding of what some students are faced with.
Providing accommodations takes collaboration from school specialists in some situations.
Physical barriers to learning have to be addressed for students with significant physical disabilities.
I have been reminded of many types of disabilities which has heightened my awareness.
I have learned specifics on the many types of disabilities and how accomodations help the student with engaging.
Always be open to assist someone with a disability, keep in mind what there limitations are and accommodate them so they are not left out or behind the class.
All the suggestions for those who have visual difficulties was truly helpful and comprehensive.
Physical disabilities or Health disabilities can definitely affect the student's learning abilities or impede the progress of learning new material. As an educator we must make necessary accommodations, look at their absences but may allow breaks for the student, be aware of their health issue/physical disability and definitely adhere to ways to assist the student in being successful, do not turn your back or cover your mouth to the HOH or deaf student, have a buddy system, visual impairment, interpreter maybe needed, speak in clear detailed sentences, students may not be capable of performing in the science lab without special accommodations being made. I learned about the difference with HOH, and being deaf, severe form of hearing loss where the main area of English is being affected, language.
There are different forms of disabilities. Also, I was unaware that information could be converted to Braille in the classroom as needed.
This module contained some useful accommodations for blind and hard-of-hearing learners.
I've had one student with hearing loss. When he was in my class last year I tried to make sure that I was talking directly to his hearing aid, or that we were facing each other so he could read my lips.
There is no single way of teaching style for students with physical disabilities.
Disabilities come in many forms and so do accommodations. Accommodations will always be made in my classroom to help my Disabled students be their best.
I thought there were great examples on how to modify your classroom to help accommodate students with disabilities, including preferential seating, alternative teaching strategies, and the importance of speaking with the student to help understand their needs.