Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this section, I learned that teachers, support staff, parents and students themselves must work together to identify the disability, then work towards a plan to accommodate the students needs.

If a disabled student chooses to not identify as disabled, their intention may be to strengthen their skills and not be limited by a label.

I have learned that the responsibility of identifying a disability is on the student and the family as soon as possible . The accommondation should noy interfer with the curiculum.

I have learned that the responsibility of identifying a disability is on the student and the family as soon as possible . The accommondation should noy interfer with the curiculum.

Students and families must be forthcoming about disabilities because services can not be retroactive. Loss of learning due to this can impact greatly in their future education.

Students can advocate for themselves in terms of their own disability, to get the services that they need. 

Written policy to determine accommodations and accommodations should be consistent with diagnosed condition.

Individualized Education Programs are for students who need additional accomodations and are protected by law. The schools will help the student and parent develop this plan, which instructors must abide by legally.

Students in higher education or vocational programming will need to disclose their disability and provide documentation to request accommodations to support their learning needs.  Instructors have the responsibility to ensure that approved accommodations are implemented to provide access to learning/testing materials.

From this informative lecture I have learned that our school has a designated person on site to ensure students with disabilities are being accommodated properly and in accordance with the law. 

In regards to the laws, there are 2 specific ones that are incorporated in the education system. One is the 504 plan, which is for any student who has a learning disability. The other is an IEP, which is for individuals who need more assistance in many areas of their education. 

I learned that student should not be excluded for having a disability. Also students must self identify with having a disability. They must provide documentation. The student should request specific accommodations. If I had a Student as such I would make sure that I followed all rules concerning the matter at hand.

Students can self identify for disability

From this module I learned that there are alot of legal aspects to students with disabilities and I should be aware of them to ensure a good learning space.

Sign In to comment