Legal Considerations | Origin: ED201
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Students with Disabilities in the Classroom --> Legal Considerations
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
the legal responsabilities of a teacher for a student with disabilities
This helped reinforce the importance of understanding my legal responsibilities when working with students with disabilities. Providing appropriate accommodations help ensure students have access to instruction in a meaningful way and demonstrate what they have learned. I want to make sure that accommodations provide access to learning without unnecessarily changing the skills or expectations students are being asked to demonstrate.
Not all disabilities are evident but everyone with a disability should be treated equally.
Not all disabilities will be evident, regardless each individual should be provided with opportunities for success and accommodated to promote success.
There are visable disabilities and disabilities that are not so evident. Regardless of the type of disability, students must be given equal opportunities in employment, housing and education.
Students (I'm assuming they're talking about college students) have to seek accommodations. This would be the responsibility of parents, educators, and administrators in a PK-12 institution.
It is very important to understand the disabilities along with the plan set in place and how to properly accommodate the student.
Accommodations are required by law and administered through 504 plans and IEPs.
I did not know that there were no retroactive accommodations. I also learned why 504s are called 504s.
I learned that students have to identify and show documentation so that we can support their needs.
Some people with disabilities sometimes don't speak up when it comes to accommodations, and unless they speak up. I rarely speak up when something is no clearly visible and it has caused difficulties in my life that i have had to overcome. which i have learned as an adult that there are protections for me under the law that has provided me the ability to speak up and receive the accommodations i needed to do my job or school work in a more productive manner.
A student must identify as soon as possible of a disability. There is no retroactive accommodations.
I have had a student with a documented disability. It was no particular issue, ensuring she and her needs were accommodated appropriately.
I was unaware that the student must self identify about their personal disability.
In K-12 schools, a student usually has an IEP that will disclose the disability and necessary accommodations/services needed. In higher education, it is up to the student to come forward with their disability. This allows the Institution to make the accommodations for that student to succeed.
I learned that the student must come forward with information identifying their disability in order for provisions to be made and adhered to focusing on all guidelines and mandates by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 Section 504. It is very important that the educator understands how she may assist the student with a disability, collaborate with other faculty members identifying ways to assist the student in being successful with learning, have a one on one with student.
That accommodations cannot be implemented retroactively. Wait for word from administration before implementing accommodations.
This module clarified language in the ADA.
I learned that students with a disability have to recognize that they have it and request accommodations. I also learned that accommodations have limits. They have to be reasonable and not alter the fundamentals of the class they want to enroll in. Now, I'm wondering how I would manage to accommodate a student in a wheelchair in my studio. It is very cramped!