Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Legal Considerations | Origin: ED201

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Students with Disabilities in the Classroom --> Legal Considerations

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Good evening, from this section, I learned that institutions have to wait for a student to come forward and provide documentation prior to any adjustments.  I also learned that adjustments should not interfere with the program curriculum.  With this new information, I plan on meeting with our program advisory board to dictate what we would consider as reasonable accommodations for students with special needs.  This way we are fair across the board.

Samantha 

From this section I have learned that schools should provide a professional to be sure that students with disabilities are being accommodated properly and in accordance with the law. I have also learned that teachers should sit with the student to determine the best way to accommodate them in the classroom. 

I have learned that it is important that the educator and student take the time to meet and discuss the needs of the students. It is also important that educators understand that, while they are required to modify content based on a student's need, they should not fundamentally alter the curriculum.

I plan to make a valiant effort to have one on ones with all of my students that are identified as having disabilities on a regular basis.

I LEARNED THAT COMMUNICATION BETWEEN THE STUDENT, TEACHER AND RESOURCE STAFF IS IMPEERATIVE IF WE ARE TO SERVE AND ACCOMODATE THE STUDENT IN THE BENEFICIAL MANNER THEY DESERVE - AND AS REQUIRED BY LAWS ENACTED OVER THE PAST 50 YEARS.

It's important to understand the full array of legal considerations for students with disabilities, and our roles as educators to ensure we are compliant in meeting those standards and laws. 

A student must self identify as having a disability.  Accommodations must be reasonable and need to be approved before putting them in place.

I learned there is a written policy and protocol in order for a student to be eligble for protection under law and accommodations

Those learners with disabilities should not to feel discriminated against. That decrease the learning process and the self esteem of the learner. 

Students need to advocate for themselves (initially) so they are able recieve the services and accomodations necessary required by law. Once notification has been made, the instructor should meet with the student(s) to find the best way to assist them in being successful in each course they take.

Disabilities usually require accomodations which are handled differently at times but are important for the success of both parites the student and the teacher. It comforting to know that the US has taken the lead on this.

A student needs to self-identify with his/her disability.

Students need to to identify ther disability with the instructor so they can find away to accomadate in a lawful manner.

I learned that : No accommodations are provided retroactively; no consideration of accommodation requests will be honored until and unless the student comes forward.

Students are required to self identify and advocate for their disability alongside their peers. Without the proper self disclosure, accomodations cannot be made to assist the student. 

I learned that a student needs to identify and provide documentation to campus disability professionels. After they are approved, faculty then meets with them to determine the best way to accomidate their learning needs . This helps to place everyone on the same page and  encourage student to success year.

There are legal requirements when dealing with students with disabilities. These are put in place by the Rehabilitation act of 1973 and the ADA, Americans with disabilities act.

It is important to try and accommodate students with disabilities.

Students/parents must advocate for accomodations and complete the correct process for obtaining documentation of the learning disability. School teachers and staff should follow the plan to assist these students.

I was really surprised to learn the student or parent must identify and come forward with the documentation before the accomodations can begin. I do like that everyone is supposed to meet and get on the same page for the betterment of the student's learning.

Sign In to comment