Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This module emphasizes the importance of supporting each individual student  based on the cultural diversity that they bring to the classroom.

Everyone should be represented in the classroom 

It is important to tailor learning to the student. 

Diversity and inclusion are essential to take into account when teaching students, and mostly health care students, who need to be culturally competent in their future practice.

I teach welding and it's always stereotypes about women not making good welders and that not true. One of my best students was female and had never welded before.

Accommodating student diversity is important because it make the learning process more effective. 

It has made me take time to think about how I can be more inclusive overall.

I will be more sensitive to the differences of students and not expect them to fall into previously familiar categories.

It is imortant to recognize and be sensitive to diversity and gender issues. The world is changing, and we have to, at least, recognize those changes.

It is important to recognize and appreciate gender differences when providing inclusive education

Regarding cultural diversity, it is important to recognize schema and ensure that you are teaching with all students in mind.  Utilizing differentiated instruction and holistic assessment through various avenues can allow all students to feel engaged and connected to the content.  Additionally, use strategies that ensure inclusivity such as being mindful of the language used, learning about student interests and goals, not making gender or culturally-based assumptions, keeping a neutral tone with all students, and not participating in stereotyping.

Getting to know your students will help in understanding what differences they may have and find a way to teach to include everyone.

Integrating different methods for all students to stay engaged. 

I have learned to be conscious of not using gender based jokes in class. I teach mental health though and some of those jokes can be referenced as a teaching example in diversity or bullying discussions.

Different students and different learning makes a more interesting learning experience for all.

Comment on Marvin Smith's post:  I have found that male and female love hands on training in our classroom labs.

Everyone is different rather it be the way they think, learn, or interact. We need to be aware of the many possiblities and keep an open mind to figure out how we can best help each student learn effectively.

I learned to never laugh at jokes that contain gender stereotypes, no matter how funny they may be. 

Comment on Cynthia Lipkins-Scott's post: Yes, I learned this as well.

I learned that is important to be mindful of any innate biases, no matter how harmless they may seem, that you may hold which could detract from what you are trying to convey to your students.

Sign In to comment