Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's important to acknowledge differences as well as sameness. Therefore my goal is to use the learnind experience to better help me address diversity appropriately and with sensitivity.

Thank you

Each student is original.

I will use it to take into respect the many different learning aspects of all students.

I learned that the instructor should find out about the student's interests related to education, get to know a little bit about the student, and treat each student as an individual, and do not think all students are the same in a group. Each student has a different back ground and may understand education material differently. 

It is important to understand we are in a diverse society and when educating we need to be aware of our own biases. 

Reply to Marvin Smith's post: I think this post is about the opposite of what we're going for here. Grouping students by gender into categories isn't individualizing instruction.

I think it's important that we look at our own biases as we enter learning communities. Grouping students into categories based on gender or other physical characteristics becomes problematic, at best. It takes a ton of self-awareness to consider each student individually - and after so many years of teaching - to see them as a new face with new ideas.

Inclusivity is important to help foster a learning community for all students.

I will model inclusive behavior

This module emphasized the need to get to know our students on an individual level and to not make assumptions about their learning preferences or needs based on superficial characteristics and perceived identities.  By providing diverse ways of instruction geared toward individual students, we can effectively teach more students and the students can learn from one another, also, because diversity in race, gender, culture, etc. can also lend itself to diversity of thought. 

I need to take more time to get to know the. students and what is there history and how to use this information to set up their learning.

I have learned to try and learn all the students names. This will be quite a task since I work in a nursing open lab. I have every student from every class in the school come to the lab. This is alot of students and they are always coming and going. Trying to individualize their educational needs by getting to know them is going to be a journey. 

Be careful not to make assumptions

Men are more hands on learners

I've learned each student is different and from different backgrounds or cultures. we need to respect every person and make inclusive commentsalso beware of comment that may be insensitive

I've learned how important it is not to sterotype when interacting with my students.

It is important to not treat individuals differently based on perceived gender.

It is important to look at your students from a wholistic approach.  Gender identity, race, socioeconomic background, and other factors can affect how the student will approach the program and cariculum.  Never make generalized assumptions.  Try to plan your lessons to include each student and their different learning styles.  Use "on the spot" learning moments to have students identify exclusionary language or actions.

All students are different, making them feel welcome and part of the group is important. I like to encourage my students to interact with one another and challenge them to learn something new about their classmates. 

Including everyone (males and females alike) is very important in our mixed gender classrooms that still tend to be male dominated.  It is important to not make the female students feel different by addressing them any differently than the male students.

Sign In to comment