Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Introduction to Autism | Origin: ED131

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Students with Autism --> Introduction to Autism

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

There is still alot that we don't completely understand about Autism. Reduction of stress during learning would assist in producing an environment conducive to learning for students diagnosed with Autism. 

There is still a lot of learn about Autism. I had no idea that individuals who are diagnosed with Autism are more likely to have a genetic disorder, gastrointenstinal disorder, and/or seizure disorders. 

The progression of ASD from 1911 to present.  Also, the % of disorders (genetic, GI, and seizure) was new knowledge to me.

I learned that the current diagnosis of Autism is based on communication/interaction and restricted/repetitive behaviors only.  I learned about the characteristics of autism and will be more conscious of them if they are exhibited by students.

Definitely more to think about with students in my classes. Understanding the different parts of Autism can help me connect with students along the spectrum.

There is still a lot to learn about Autism. The increase in diagnosis is alarming.

Early diagnosis is the key to an autistic child transitioning to adulthood more effectively.

I learned how important it is to try and diagnose the child early on. This will help with supporting the child and knowing how to help and provide resources to them to help them be more successful in life.

Unfortunately there is no cure for this spectrum and the brain structure is damaged due to decreased amounts  of brain tissue in parts of the cerebellum.

I haved learned that these modules give you greater insight on how the Autism spectrume can have multple causes that act together snd change the most common ways people develop.

Autism is much more common than people think.

As a Neurodiagnostic technologist for 45 years I have worked with a lot of patients that fall into the ASD.  Even so there was so much more information I gleaned from this as to specifics of the disorder and even to the genetics and seizure disorder section.  As an NDT instructor this will truly help me with teaching students why we do Neurodiagnostic procedures and how to work with patients that come to us with autism.

I had no idea that the % of people with GI and Seizure disorders were so high.  It was an interesting note that sometimes self soothing, or disruptive/harmful behavior can stem from physical pain or discomfort caused by GI issues.  It makes perfect sense, but it's not something I would have neccessarily picked up on without the GI statistic.

I have Asperger's so this is all very familar to me.

There is still lots to learn about Autism. Although there are generally defined symptoms, it is a very individualized condition. 

Information about Autism has come a long way in the last 50 years.

I learned that each individual with autism is unique in how they function and reach to the environment. I also learned about the different spectrums and characteristics of autism. This was helpful and will help me to be more aware and understand students with autism.

I did not realize how much the prevalence has increased and how common ASD is. It was insightful to learn about the common signs/symptoms and presentation of ASD as well as common co-morbidities.

I had no idea that autistic people were more prone to having other genetic issues, GI problems, and seizure disorders. It is enlightening to read more about this subject. I have several students who need to wear noise-cancelling headphones. I assume they are autistic.

Sign In to comment