Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using Social Networks

How do social networks influence the learning of Gen Y students?

Social networks can have a positive and negative influence when it comes to learning. Some students use the social networks (Facebook) to interact with other classmates like a forum to discuss assignments or an avenue for venting when they have had a bad day/grade. Others use the social network as a distraction. They can't detach from the technology long enough to retain anything from lecture. Students constantly check their phones, or want to check them during class or on a break. My college does not allow the student to have the phones unless they are on a scheduled break for that reason.

These students can always access the answer to a questions they have through technology but when it comes to critical thinking their way through a question on their own they are lost.

Social network at certain times can be a asset as well and distraction because many get so caught and other things that they forget the real reason for networking in the first place. and that is to be develope and network with a variety of students or differnce networker working for same or similiar course as well as causes.

I require students to use them when working on group projects. That way I can monitor the progress of the project when they are not in class. I will participate, giving corrections, suggestions, and encouragement.

I feel like social networking has helped connect students in each class. For example, I have noticed most students are in contact with at least one fellow classmate outside of the school: usually on Facebook. This seems to make missed notes, assignments, and lectures much easier for the students to make-up. A lot of times I will inform students of missed work and instead of asking me for notes or help, I get "I'll get it from so and so" as a reply. On the other hand, I have to keep an eye out for open Facebook pages during lectures, as the students' need to stay connected is usually a distraction.

I suppose it depends on the particular network, though I have found that that there are benefits to networks like facebook and google+ by using their chat and "hangout" features to quickly communicate with other students.

I was a Generation Y student and social networking was a lifesaver in college. Facebook was originally set up for college students and business connections and required a college email address. You could input your class schedule and see everyone else in your class. It made it easy to find someone in your class whom you recognized but might not know their entire name. It was easy to connect with someone for notes or receive clarification on a project rather than bothering the professor.

I disagree. The technology is available to access the answer to questions but critical thinking is lost on these students. Technology gives them endless resources for supporting information but they are creative and can come up with interesting reasoning with a different perspective.

Social networks are also becoming preferred mode of communication over face to face and phone contact. Pros and cons here as well.

They allow student to develop a common focus in supporting each other's academic progress.

Use of social networks can help with emotional support, or the use of team action via social networks. However, most of the time such tools can be a distraction as they are not used for educational purposes. Some of the conversations are childish and self-serving,

I find that students often walk into class with a preconceived notion of me as the instructor and the class content because of what they have picked up from Facebook. It is fascinating to know they are starting from that, and also to watch them shift to their own, first-hand notions as the class goes on.

Roger,
Facebook really can be a great asset in our classrooms & for our students to stay connected. I have had some students set up FB pages when working on group projects. It does have to be monitored while in class as you said.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Social networks can be a great tool for gen y students provided that they are applicable to what they are studying. Much like the example given in the reading, the LinkedIn network would be a great networking tool for students who are trying to learn how to build a professional network in preparation for going out in to the workforce.

Pamela,
I agree. I've found a struggle in helping students to understand the difference between personal & professional, especially in social networking.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Generation Y students can gather so much from these networks. And as an optimal way to connect with one another they are networking with so many. I think the key is to get them to use the networking sites professionally as it stands it is mostly on a private and unprofessional basis. Introdcuing the advantages of a business utilizing twitter and facebook can connect them with that professional side.

I agree that fb can be an asset if used correctly. Students form online groups either formally through fb or informally just by friending each other. This tends to help bond the group, gives them another option for getting a quick answer on an assignment or due date, and gives them the start of their professional networking group within their new careers. It can also be used effectively with group assignments. The challenge, both for students and instructors, is not getting distracted into personal fb status updates & comments while using it for business/school purposes.

Dara,
you are right that this has to be carefully monitored & we have to encourage our students to remain professional.

Dr. Ryan Meers

When used with focused and thoughtful guidelines, students can appreciate their value in the classrom settings. Without those guidelines, they can present obstacles to learning and meaningful networking.

Sign In to comment