Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Characteristics of generational learners

What is the value of knowing the characteristics of different generations of learners?

As our classrooms become more diverse, we must fully understand our diffferent learners, their learning style, and their set of values and life experiences to be successful.

Knowing the different characteristics of each generation will help you prepare your instruction in the most effective way. You can reach all students by incorporating multiple learning styles. The more interactive the learning styles, the more material te student wil retain.

Having a better understanding of the different learning styles helps me to be able to convey the material in a way that the different generations can grasp.

Just like its important to accommodate various learning styles into a lesson, knowing generational differences will also strengthen our delivery.

My student population is so varied, I must be able to teach to all styles or learning.

I think that knowing how everyone in a career classroom is likely to learn helps me prepare a lesson plan that touches on as many styles as possible. And I have found that the older folks- the Boomers and early Xers- are way more comfortable with technology than they often give themselves credit for and find it very rewarding "keeping up" with the younger students. Also, I have experienced my younger students really getting into books and more "old school" methodologies. They think retro is cool. ^_~

We are able to reach each student in a better way and diversify the class environment with various teaching methods. The best classes i've had are when students from different generations engage in healty argumentation.

The value is we as instructors can apply different teaching styles for different generations in order to get the best comprehension and results/grades from our students

It is important to know the different learning styles of the different generations so that we can adjust our teaching styles to the learners. It is important to realize the method of learning of your own generation may be different than the other generations represented in your classroom.

Many teachers tend to assume that whatever methods were used to teach them will work for their students. Teaching gen x ers and gen-y involves rethinking traditional teaching methods and integrating technology in what use to be primarily lecture and not taking.
Many instructors at my institution are alarmed if students bring their lap top to class, however in my opinion, they SHOULD bring their lap top to class- they are used to using their phone and computer for keeping track of things- it only makes sense that they would want to take notes on their computer.
many older teachers seem to view the internet as a bad thing, however never before in history have students had the access to so much complex information accesible within seconds. Embracing the possiblities would benefit all teachers and students.

Sara,
it is definitely interesting how many "retro" things are becoming increasingly cool for younger students. And you are right about some of the older students being more comfortable with technology then they realize.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Navinthran,
great observation & thank you for sharing. I think this cross-generational discussion helps all of us learn to appreciate & value the opinions/ideas of others so much better.

Dr. Ryan Meers

ellen,
I could not agree more. I also agree that the use in class needs to be monitored so it is not distracting, but we must recognize that these devices are as integral to their learning as paper & pens were to previous generations.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I always try to include the different generational cohorts in my lesson plan and instructional delivery. It is important to include their learning styles and needs to ensure classroom success. It is also important to help them adapt and maximize the strengths of their learning styles for the changing career world.

I also strive to have cross-generational discussions in classes. I find it adds to the layers of understanding and the ways of knowing.

yes they are. And soon I expect that every student will have an ipad- I know one teacher that is part of a program in which elementary school students are being given ipads for classroom use!They will have wi fi and use them dring class in lessons designed to integrate the internet and research.

Sandi,
this is a great strategy to make sure that you are reaching the variety of learners you have in your classroom.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sandi,
I agree with you. I've been a participant in these type of classroom discussions & have found them very rich & rewarding.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I'm often in a classroom setting where there are mostly Gen Y students, but mixed with Gen X and Boomers too. Three different generations sometimes creates friction between students, and I try to pair up smiliar gen students whenever possible to keep learning styles together. There are benefits of pairing different styles though, sometimes the older student will take to the younger students methods and find they are worth using, beneficial in a light they'd not thought about before. I try to make sure that students understand that being from different generations can be a benefit, and not to push away a different though process or idea just because it came from a young kid, or an older person.

Sign In to comment