Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think it will make it easier to understand the thought process that went into a decision that the lead to the outcome of what ever we are trying to accomplish

I think that it valuable to learn as much as we can about different generational learners because they are the current status quo. The next generation will be even more knowledgeable about "new" technology. Who knows what the next Gen will be like?

This was very illuminating, I can see where I use to teach like I was taught, but that now we have a Generation Y that is a combination of all that went before. Understanding why they want instant feedback is very helpful. The value is that you as an instructor can take a step back and not take some of what happens personally, but adapt your methodology to the needs of the student.

Interesting that you put them together, I tend to try to put teams with diverse members together so that they "learn" from one another. Good basis for them being able to go out into the work world and be successful.

Donna,
yes it really is a good idea to mix the generational groups up if possible. This is a reflection of the current work environment.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree, all roads lead into town, they are just different ways to get to the same place. There is no one way to learn, as long as they get to the same "place".

Our classes have students from 18 to 65 and hit all of the generational groups so knowing the motivation behind their generations learning styles is a huge advantage when it comes to planning the learning presentation.

I agree. I teach nursing. On the floor either in a nursing home or in an ICU, nurses are required to work with each other to ensure adequate/appropriate patient care. Starting groupwork in the classroom helps students get accustomed to learning from eachother and being willing to try alternative styles.

TC,
yes the more we can know about the various generations the stronger we will be as instructors.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The value is that you can create lesson plans that incorporate different teaching styles to reach your audience.

You an also teach from different angles so to be understood by such a diverse class.

In Screamin' Eagle I instruct multiple generations in the same class, at the same time. By understanding that each generation has a way they process information easier I can reach each individual faster, in a more meaningful way.I can also tailor my instruction on a one on one basis per thier generational needs.

Carrie ,
yes, pretty much any career path today will involve group work & so we must prepare our students for this.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Herman,
it is definitely to our & our students' advantage to make an effort to understand all the generations.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Because each generation learns differently, It is vital to familiarize with the groups in the classroom- from there- understanding their learning styles is key.. finally, we must be sure to include methods of instruction/learning that will allow these different generations to be successful learners!

The value of this of knowing the generations characteristics is to give us as instructors a starting point so our students will buy in that we are here for thier good. We must relate to our students so they can attain what we are offering. Meet our student where they are and bring them along is the concept.

Lisa,
I agree that the key is making sure that we understand the generations, but don't overlook the individual students.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Carlton,
well put! This information is a launching point to better engage students.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Our classroom environment is ever changing, driven by technology, economic tendencies etc. Instructors are forced to become flexible in their delivery of course content if they want to reach everyone. This benefits everyone including the teachers. Just as we are a diverse country of different backgrounds, the same applies to the way students were raised in their own families and communities. We educate in a "one size does not fit all" world. I teach to a mixed bag of generations and can actually see the difference in the way information is collected. The "older" boomers and gen “X”ers seem to do a better job of data mining than the "Y"ers do. This may be in part to actual maturity levels as well.

Having begun my teaching career 45 years ago has required me to keep up with technology or lose my position. Because I have been teaching adults, I think I have gradually made that transition better than many teachers in the elementary and middle school fields. Because of the diversity of our students in generational characteristics and learing styles, I have had to work hard to keep my presentation techniques up-to-date. I have to work through the process of getting comfortable with each form of technological innovation in order to help my students make any adjustments necessary in their educational goals. I have to say that some of those adjustments were made kicking and screaming on my part. I now work completely online. Never when I started my career, could I have imagined this ending. Given the chance, younger colleagues and students are happy to share their expertise. The use of technology by students is here. Set your ground rules for acceptable use during class and stick by them.

Sign In to comment