Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree that we need to understand the different generations in order to be able to deal with them appropriately

Patricia,
I completely agree with you that the more we make an effort to understand the various generations the more effective we will be in the classroom.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Jason,
yes, it is very important due to the diversity in our classes today.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I do the same thing, most of my students like taking notes when I am lecturing and writing on the white board. I have one student with disability also he also prefer me to write on the white board. I also use the projector to show medical terminology (anatomy) animations.
All my students love when we play jeopardy and I usually divide the class into 2 teams they said they really learn a lot (Medical Terminology) the entire class participates and they have lots of fun while learning. I use this technique when we are doing chapter review.

The obvious has been stated in earlier replies to this forum question. It is imperative the limited attention span be addressed (particularly for five hour classes!)
• Break down the class sessions to change the rhythm
• Employ electronics to transfer info and assignments
• Set standards for using electronic tools
• Provide guided lecture notes with audio and on screen lectures to reinforce key words and reduce writing
• Create games for teams to compete for bonus points
• Bribe them. Hand out cabochons for insightful contributions during lecture and labs (Redeem the cabs for bonus points at the end of the term)
• Assign classroom projects related to the session topic/topics. Require web search, compilation of the info into a PP Presentation, which is electronically submitted to meet deadline and orally presented to the class.

Terri,
all of these are great points & definitely we need to be mindful of construction, especially for those longer classes.

Dr. Ryan Meers

It is important that you know the various characteristics of the different generations of learners so that you can adjust your teaching techniques to the students in your class. If your class has different generations of learners you might need to present the material in different ways.

The value lies in the way we present the material to the students . Often i find that when i am coaching a student , he is usually not a x gen or boomer. I find i have to adapt strategies for all different types of learners and it helps to know their individual characteristics.

Craig,
I agree that we need to explore a variety of methods to make sure we are reaching all of the learners in our classes.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I think this is true usually. I have students pick their own groups and they mix it up fine.

It gives more options in the classroom. As an instructor, I can mix it up and use different methods so every student gets an opportunity to absorb the information. If they don't understand it from one method, it can be reinforced. I also gain experience and education from my students. As a member of Generation X, I myself stand to learn a lot by listening to life experiences of my Baby Boomers and Gen Y students.

Grace ,
yes the variety in the class is a great way to help all learn more effectively.

Dr. Ryan Meers

It is helpful to understand generation differences in order to provide differential instruction. Allowing variety of methods and activities aids in the differences and success of each student.

A good speaker always knows his/her audience.

I try to use an everyday situation as an analogy. Most of of todays "Gen Y" are so in tune with technology that they lack the critical thinking skills needed. "Gen X" and before had to learn based on "doing" which resulted in success or failure, either way a lesson learned based on criticle thinking. I still use an everyday analogy with GEN X as well.
I am a mid 60's baby so I can relate to both generations, with that said I think I do well knowing and dealing with the different generations.

it is important to understand the characteristics of the generational learners because we have a little bit of every type in some of our classes. People are finding they are having to work longer in life now and some are going back to school to help them along in new jobs, or to help them better themselves at the jobs they currently have.
It helps us to be able to reach all the students if we better understand the different characteristics.

One of the courses I teach is Basic Engines so day1we introduce the students to 4 different learning styles. Audible, Visual, Intellectual and Somatic. So now going on 4 years of being an instructor I have definitely found the importance of delivering these learning styles. We work with a very diverse room of students. But I find it beneficial working with several generational cohorts, that alone is an experience in itself. Watching older students learn from younger students and vice versa

Kimberly,
this is so true & will help us be more effective instructors.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Susie,
this is definitely a key skill for anyy speaker/presenter.

Dr. Ryan Meers

By having some insight on the different environments and lifestyles of the various generations found in todays classroom, we can better address the different learning styles and information acquisition methods used by them in their daily lives. By making an effort to provide these different generations with materials and methods associated with their own lifestyle, learning can be made more natural and comfortable for all of them.

Sign In to comment