Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

And thats true, i have 15 students in my class and they all lrean on a different level.

Games do work well with the younger students, but when mixed ages in the class rooms occurs

my older students have a hard time accepting the games and get frustrated.

I believe knowing the characteristics of different generations of learners becomes most valuable to an instructor when a student is having difficulty with a lesson. Understanding these characteristics can allow you to develop a strategy more conducive to that students learning style.

Credie,
this is so true & also knowing that you have the different learning styles in your class no matter what, you are better equipped to reach all learners.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

In my mind this better helps me to understand my role as a teacher and who is in my class room.

Larry,
glad it was helpful & it really is important to understand the makeup of the class as we prepare & present.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The veterans I admire and respect so much; I feel they appreciate structure and discipline, they are strong and united. The boomers share (for the most part) in learning styles, but they will question ideas. Generation X, I felt myself identifying with, they want a very well structured outline for the full term of the class, a great syllabus and leave nothing up to interpretation. The most surprising for me is generation Y students and their ability for multi-tasking, many times in my classes some of my students have told me they were listening to me at the same time they are completing some other task, and I've had my doubts...maybe I should re-evaluate this.

Timothy,
this is a good point & one I want to stress: millenials think they can multi-task & they "do it" but many studies have shown that they are not as effective as they think they are. The are used to operating this way, but please don't misunderstand me: they need to be redirected to focusing on one thing at a time. Hopefully that makes sense.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The value of knowing the characteristics of different generations of learners is so that, as an instructor, delivering information can conform to the types of learning environment the each generational cohort is comfortable with. Each generation has slightly different perceptions and expectations of the educational process. Older generations, such as the Veterans and Boomers may be comfortable with a more structured environment while members of the Generation Y cohort prefer a more interactive environment and especially like using the latest technologies. If there are different generations that make up a particular class the instructor will need to find the right mix of structure and information delivery methods that work for all members of the class. Class sessions could include a short lecture followed by other activities such as group projects as well as individual assignments. The instructor should always set clear goals and work to foster a team environment.

There is huge value in knowing the characteristics of different generations of learners. Once you know the different characteristics then you will be able to convey the information to that group or person in a way to where they will better understand and remember it.

As a member of the boomer generation, I particularly appreciated learning in Module 2, that Gen Yers can multitask effectively! I am definitely one of those instructors who have been frustrated when I see students who appear to NOT be paying attention to my lecture, and admit to having considered it disrespectful. Thank you for opening my eyes!!

By gaining a deeper understanding of the characteristics of different generations of learners, an instructor can customize presentations. In my case,I always have both Gen X and Gen Y students in the same class, so by understanding their differences in learning preferences, I can tailor my instruction so there is "something for everyone" in classroom presentations.

Susan,
now just as a quick word of caution on this...they can do multiple things at once & they're not being disrespectful; but more & more research is showing that they aren't learning as well. So yes don't take it as disrespect, but a friendly reminder to pay attention to one thing (the class) might be in order. :)

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Knowing the values of multiple generations of learners helps us to better teach each student so they may learn and apply the materials to the best of their ability

I think the most important reason is adaptation in the classroom. Most classes I teach have several generations and providing a variety of teaching methods can help keep all students engagede

Jonathan,
yes, very true statement. We need to be aware of the different personalities & different learning styles in the classes we teach.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The value is that it gives you a baseline of understanding to start from with your students.
I don't think there is any substitute for actually getting to know your class as individuals. There is a trap here I think of stereotyping a generation based on some of this information. Every book has its own story so to speak. We should not forget this.

I'm older than everyone else, too, though not quite in the Veteran category. I found exploring the various ways of learning has expanded my own skills in learning and broadened my comfort zone with diverse technology. This is fun!

What do you do to insure that your insistence on their reading their homework actually gets heeded? I need that secret!

Mark,
you are exactly right & we've tried to bring that out in the course content. These are generalities & as you said, everyone is a unique individual & so we have to be very careful here.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment