Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

carole,
I have found that need for immediate feedback to be very true with my students.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Donna,
you are very well immersed in this type of learning environment for sure.

Dr. Ryan Meers

carole,
you are very right; I would almost say they "demand" more feedback & relevancy than older learners.

Dr. Ryan Meers

To help the Generation Y learner achieve the course objectives, interactive learning activities and practice tests must be created that utilize technology and provide immediate feedback. Additionally, the curriculum should include collaborative assignments such as group projects and discussion boards.

I agree more hands on activities directly related to course objectives and popular culture. I often make analogies to news items and popular culture to increase student motivation and retention.

melanie,
I agree & in this we need to make sure we are being clear on what they are learning & why it's valuable.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sandi,
I agree in that I've found the references to popular culture seem to resonate & even help with learning the concepts & retention.

Dr. Ryan Meers

so true. It is really incredible to me that some people do not fact check becauyse it is so very easy for anybody to call you on something , given that everyone has internet on their phone.
Keeps one on your toes!

That is certainly true-and often they do not have the educational background to evaluate the source of information. I think, as instructors, it is important to teach students how to gauge the validity of information and the source and be able to decide if sources are biased in a particular way.

ellen,
you are right & we need to be aware that their "facts" may not be very reliable, but we have to be ready to back ours up.

Dr. Ryan Meers

ellen,
I completely agree. A major part of our job as instructors, I believe, is to help our students learn how to find information & evaluate the same for validity, etc.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I did not know much about Gen Y. I did not understand why many of my Gen Y students wanted to know their grades so quickly. Knowing this will enable me to post their grades quicker.

In my experience these students know more than I do concerning the equipment. My lectures need to keep their focus or they become easily bored.

I instruct using more technology, things like youtube and videos. I also include lots of hands-on activities and frequently change the pace of the course like every 15 min. I realize I am in competition with devices that provide lots more entertainment than a lecture :).

Simply put the use of technology is basically mandatory and time to explain the why's must be built into the carriculum because they are definately going to ask.

They are open to newer technology and methods allowing instructors to incorporate different teaching and learning styles in the classroom.

The instructional planning process will have to involve the use of technology. It should also show the bigger picture since this generation wants to do more than just earn a paycheck.

Joanne,
this was a key learning for me when I first started studying the generations as well.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Donna,
you are right that we want to make sure to keep their attention & good use of technology can help with that.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Joy ,
this is a great awareness that we all need to keep in mind.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment