Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mark,
I would agree that while there are some challenges, I have found the Gen Yers to be more open to me experimenting & trying new methods.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Need to incorporate more technology based training aides. They aren't happy unless it is something that blinks or makes noises.

I find as I teach the generation Y students technology plays a much larger roll in keeping them interested in the subject matter. I utilize computers more, and integrate them into my lectures, and demo/lab.

James,
Gen Y learners are definitely accustomed to lots of techno type of visual aids.

Dr. Ryan Meers

While planning classroom instruction- these type of learners need some type of technology as part of the learning process. These learners really need to feel engaged in learning- drawn to the material- using technology in the classroom- will better engage them to learn the material.

I must agree that technology must be be involved. But the "Y" must be answered during the physical learning environment while using the technology. These students understand data more so than lectures and can reach more logical reasonings.

Last week I was walking to hall of are school at break and started counting the students that had there phones out looking at them and the ones that did not have a phone out. It was 28 to 1 students that had there phones out. This tell me that they fell a need to look at them and they can learn more by doing so.

I'm on your side in the assesment you made. Technology is great. However, where I teach there are many generations as well. The older students oftentime struggle with technological gadgets. Heck, I struggle with technolgical gadgets. Unless Gen "y" just retreats into a room and doesn't interact with the rest of the world, we of other generations who are teachers must meet them where they are plus show where they are from. Everything has a history. That History is worth knowing to have a better understanding to be able to have wisdom.

Lisa,
utitilizing technology in an effective & intelligent way is definitely a great strategy for reaching these learners.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Franz,
yes there is definitely a seeming "addiction" to cell phones. I think this can be used in the learning environment, but must be closely monitored.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Carlton,
I agree with you here. We spend a lot of time talking about how to reach Gen Y, I think we also need to help Gen Y understand how to reach others.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I have found that I must change the type of teaching every 15 minutes in order to keep the Gen Y students engaged. Lecture, life examples,
quick verbal quiz using teams, passing around training aids, back to lecture. Repeat.

At times it seems to much for my Baby Boomers, but lets face it, Gen Y is the majority in the classroom now.

Daniel,
you are right that we have to keep things switched up & moving to best reach the Gen Y learners.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I find that when planning for instruction in the classroom, I have to do so with an important observation that I have made with Gen Y. The appreciation and thirst for knowledge seems to be lacking with this Gen. The world is at their fingertips, so why is retention of material important when they can google it as needed. My opinion is that this trend erodes the qaulity of speacialization within trades.

With the amount of ADHD of this generation you have to keep the class moving or they lose their focus and I can not spend as much time as I like because the phones will come out and the texting will begin under the table thsy can not enjoy learning

drew,
you are right that often there seems to be a great desire to discuss, but not necessarily to discover. Makes me wonder about their listening skills...

Dr. Ryan Meers

lloyd,
yes, I sometimes think our approach needs to be to totally exhaust these learners so they stay engaged the whole time.

Dr. Ryan Meers

They do not want to learn by traditional means. They become disconnected very quickly from a Lecture. It's a nightmare trying to keep the cell phones out of their hands. It's like they can't live without constantly texting someone. Personally, I think it is their way of keeping themselves entertained, which is easier than learning. Cell Phone texting gives them an excuse to not have to learn, so they just turn around and say "mom" was texting me the whole time I was in class that why I failed the test. It's just one "Big" excuse.

Shawn,
it is very frustrating as these students are addicted to their technology. We have to stay engaged with them & help them learn how to disconnect.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Myself being a boomer, I had never before took such a look into our diffences in prefered learning styles. Their comfort and dependance on technology compared to mine has been eye opening.

Sign In to comment