Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I tottaly agre with you. When I was in college there were mixed generations, and we semmed to coexist. It is important to integrate new technology into the classroom and try to keep moving. I usually try and try different methouds of delivery every 20 minutes or so. I like to quiz my students, lecture, group discussions and other various means of delivering information to them so they don't get bored.

Clifton,
it really is amazing & good to consider the different preferences.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Madelyn,
this is a great strategy. I would also say that sometimes the Yers appreciate a little "old school" methodology too.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Our job includes entertaing as well as teaching or we will lose their attention.

It has a great impact on how you prepare and conduct a class, especially with different generations. There is a need to utilize a hybrid method which provides what is eesential for every student to understand the concept thought and how to apply it to the real world.

I agree they are definitely addicted to there phones and need to be monitored.They are hear to learn and should know when it is ok to use it as a learning device.

Felix,
yes and really, to a certain extent, the best way to reach Gen Y is to make every effort to be an overall effective instructor.

Dr. Ryan Meers

How true. I have found out that I have to change quick too. The older students listen better and don't seem to mind which style I use. The younger students get bored quickly so I switch from life stories back to the subject every few minutes.

Gen Y learners like to have things moving and be stimulated by technology. They are constantly looking at their cell phones (can't be without them even for 5 minutes.) As an instructor, this can be difficult to deal with. When planning instructional activities, there needs to be a wide variety of group, technology and activity assignments added to the classroom. Gen Y learners always want to know what they need to do next in the class.

In the time I have been an instructor, I have found it to be more of a chalange to teach these students because of there learning or lack of learning ability by way of disscusion form.

I agree, it seems as though the number of ADD and ADHD cases is on the rise. I know I am aware of the fact that Gen Y is the first to be born with "technology in hand." But when I read it in print in really sinks in. Is there a possibility their upbringing in continued connectivity could lead to their guick boredom or distraction in the classroom?

Robert,
it does seem that older students are a little more flexible.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Jeannine,
you are right & I have found that they really like things explained very clearly & explicitly.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Rick,
I think this is definitely the case. They are accustomed to being "entertained" & expect the same in the classroom.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Instructional planning must create a fun environment that encourages learners to think critically. If it's fun for the students, instructors have fun too!

These students cannot handle long lecuture times, and become bored very easily, it is good to keep them as active as possible when it comes to teaching.

You have to ready for anything. With the world at their finger tips, you never know what question is going to come up in class.

This is really true. I remind students constantly not to use cell phones during clinical laboratory. It seems like their cell phones are their security blanket.

Patricia,
I agree that if we can incorporate fun into the class they have a better chance of staying engaged.

Dr. Ryan Meers

april,
yes activity with moving as well as lively discussions is a great strategy.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment