Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

An instructor needs to plan to teach in many different ways. They must involve their students into the teaching more, plus, they need to be able seamlessly move from use technology to lecturing.

In my own experience, Gen Y learners are extremely social in their learning style, as opposed to highly structured and rigid. They value lifestyle and social causes, place a lot of emphasis on interactive and "game" learning, and are highly savy in and capable of learning new technological interfaces quickly. They also value a flat organization much more than a hierarchical one, which translates in the classroom to an interactive, participatory environment in which the student's class contributions are equally valued as the teacher's. Classroom seminar discussions and student presentations, where everyone can remain engaged, are more effective as teaching tools than strictly lecture format classes.

Barbara,
this is a good point & the reality is that it takes longer & more effort for us, but ultimately is more rewarding & beneficial for our students.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

This is SO true! I find myself wrapping up certain thoughts or topics quicker than I might have wanted to, because I see that the students begin to disengage rather quickly if there is not a constant change of visuals, some kind of activity requiring them to get up and interact with eachother, or me telling a "real life" story of how the lecture topic played out for me in the "real world." Otherwise like you said, texting under the table or checking facebook begins.

I think the characteristics of Generation Y learners impacts the instructional planning process in a significant way. The needs to be a wide range of teaching methods available in the classroom now such as group projects, tests, quizzes, visuals, hands-on materials, as well as old fashioned lecture. The material also has to be attention grabbing to pull kids minds away from technology that they are so heavily involved in, even during the school day.

Christopher,
this is so true & we need to make sure that we are tapping into the variety that will best reach our students.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The instructional planning process needs to include enough technology to capture the attention of the audience.

nancy,
I agree that we should plan the technology into the course, not just add it ad hoc.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I just learned that I am an X'er for I have never really bothered to research any of these titles. With that being said, ADHD was understood and diagnosed in me by my dad many moons ago as a case of I Am Not Interested In This Topic Or Task I Am Supposed To Do, Therefore I Am Going To Think About Something I Am Interested In Or Do Something That I Want To Do Syndrome. Also known as IANIITTOTIASTDTIAGTTASIAIIODSTIWTDS. His scientific very effective treatment used a combination of, if I didn't do what was required then I went without and another that my butt cheeks still remember distinctively to this day. LOL I thank my dad and appreciate his efforts in teaching me how to deal with my what is known today as ADHD. :)
What I notice in the younger students is that they depend on the technology to give them answers that they can simply figure out for themselves with a little knowledge and effort. With any answer just a Google search away, why should they take the time to learn and do such things is the attitude and mindset I get from them. One of my goals in class is to put them in a situation of the "Zombie Apocalypse" and Google/Internet/Smart Phone is gone. Figure out what is wrong and fix the problem now using the computer that is resting on your shoulders. Some light bulbs do go on, but others just say "The Zombie Apocalypse will never happen, duh, your stupid" and they go back to there Facebook page. LOL I love teaching these kids. They are entertaining. Good luck to all!

The ability to teach to all learners in a visual, kinesthetic, and auditory form combined with technology is the perfect blend for a well balanced education. We constantly evaluate our forms of instruction to find what works and infuse the most current technologies in the classroom to keep students engaged.

born in 1950 so when I was in second grade I had a problem with reading and sounding out words. My teacher thought I was just stupid and could not learn but later I went to a doctor and I thought that also but it took some time for me to realize that it is a real problem. I am 63 years old then I found out I am dyslexic .I had to learn how to live with it. It did take a lot of work but I did overcome my problem. I do not use it as a cruch

In some cases it can be very hard to keep the attention of the Generation Y learners. They do not like to put in effort to actually read and investigate for themselves. They find it esaier to just utilize technology to figure it out for them, which unfortunately leads to lack of critical thinking skills. As instructor you must create lesson plans that help to promote critical thinking skills and also help to keep the students attentive and engaged in the classroom setting. According to the time frames I would be considered a Generation Y baby since I was born in 82.

The characteristics of Generation Y learners impact instructional planning because it isn't about "traditional" formal class setup, its more about hands on and the use of technology, therefore in the planning process, while lecture is important, it is almost more important to have hands on activites and real life tools as part of the learning process to connect the readings and lectures together.

Kathleen,
yes, the consistent & regular reflection on our teaching methods & effectiveness is key to making sure that we are helping our students as much as possible.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

James,
this is a great story & while we do want to help the students who are struggling as much as possible, sometimes the best thing we can do is help them realize that they can work hard & be successful in spite of a setback or struggle.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Dr. Lindsay,
yes, excellent point made regarding constructing lessons that insist upon critical thinking skills & stretch the students in this area. This is a skill in high demand by today's employers & we must help our students develop them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Dr. Lindsay,
yes, excellent point made regarding constructing lessons that insist upon critical thinking skills & stretch the students in this area. This is a skill in high demand by today's employers & we must help our students develop them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

For these leaners you must incorporate some type of technology or you loose the learner. These types of students rely on new technolgy to learn new concepts.

Instructional planning must be accompanied with a variety of Instructional Technology resources. Sharing life experiences pertaining to your teaching agenda with the use of technology also shows the Generation your age as an Instructor, and thus, can develop a much better teaching/learning relationship with students.

Gen Yers love their tech! It seems like an addiction almost. They are always checking their phone for updates on something or other. I find that makes it hard to keep their attention on the class material. So I have to find other ways to keep them engaged, such as games or pop quizes. Something that keeps them involved in the class.

Sign In to comment