Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Loaded question!! We, as educators, have to be so much more involved in the learning process as it relates to Gen Y. They are so connected, that's its exceptionally hard for them to "disconnect" in order to listen. So I've tried to find ways for them to connect in class, like text quizzes, or researching a topic right in there in class.

Daniel,

I agree & strongly encourage instructors who are working with Gen Y students to try to incorporate tech whenever possible as long as it's connected to the material & information.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Shawn,
I really like the idea of sharing the life experiences & incorporating the technology into this.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Gen Y students can be engaged in learning by many avenues. The traditional classroom lecture can be enhanced by PowerPoint, email discussion and group seminar communication. The classroom meeting can be used to much greater efficiency by allowing for academically supported discussion and argument concerning the contents of learning objectives.

I agree, as a healthcare-focused instructor that grew up between Gen X and Gen Y I have seen the ADD/ADHD diagnosis drama play out amongst friends, patients and now students. As a society we have gone from just writing students off as "that boy ain't right in the head" to working with them individually to determine their needs.

Another aspect of the ADD/ADHD issue may be generational as we are learning about here in the course. The dramatic increases in connectivity and technology has changed the environment students inhabit at school and home from one of quiet isolation where rote memorization and reading were the norm to dramatic multitasking.

I'm guilty of it myself - on a typical evening iTunes is playing, I'm keeping an eye on dinner cooking, talking on the speakerphone and answering emails at the same time. The lines between all these activities blur as the immediacy of technology demands my attention now, yet technology has made these tasks simpler than they once were so none of them really require my undivided attention.

To clarify on that long ramble above - my grandmother would consider that list of activities all at once insane, but it is so natural to me.

I struggle with the use of cell phones as a learning tool in the classroom. On the one hand, I want to utilize this technology we are all so hooked on. On the other hand, I am preparing them for a career where it will be completely unacceptable to be checking their phone any time besides on breaks.

Am I effectively preparing them for 8+ hours a day with no iPhone access if I do not cultivate an environment where they can practice disconnecting for a few minutes at a time?

I'm a boomer who's been using computers since the late Eighties. Members of Gen Y are definitely not tolerant of non-technical Boomers fumbling with computers or having difficulty sending Power Points to overhead projectors even though they themselves may be completely incapable of solving those problems themselves. They expect and respect a certain level of technical mastery from their instructors and we need to be aware of that when we stand before them.

Catherine,
I would say in this situation you are very well in the right in not having any activities involving cell phones in your classes.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Catherine,
I would say in this situation you are very well in the right in not having any activities involving cell phones in your classes.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

What I am finding is that it is very difficult for many of them to sit down and concentrate on a book. They have to keep getting dynamic video and don't really understand how to focus on one static topic. This also seems to mean that many of them put off reading/writing assignments till the last minute and don't do very good jobs on them. There are plenty of exceptions, especially when they see a class as important for career goals, but traditional slow, careful learning from print is not a high priority with them. Not making a value judgment--I'm sure when books came in people complained that scrolls would vanish, and when writing came in oral learning took a big hit. But it does make education different.

Hi Wendy,

Your point is very valid. In my opinion, this generation feels entitled to everything. Technology is a wonderful tool to be used to enhance critical thinking; however, not many use it for this purpose. This generation uses technology to do the thinking, rather than use their own experiences and knowledge.

Richard,
yes, this generation does seem to struggle with paying attention & appreciating learning for the sake of learning.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

While I agree that ADHD has alot to do with keeping students in focus, I also think that they rely opn the "What are you going to do for me" putting t5here own (sometimes selfish) needs first then what needs to be accomplished second

Planning on teaching concepts for a specific course does mean that you should understand the "target" audience. That is true for anyone presenting information. The difficulty with teaching online is that the students are so diverse and they might represent at least three generational cohorts. This makes it very challenging. It seems that the Generation Y learners might be more comfortable learning about concepts using technology so that is great. Just be sure to have content presented clearly and addressing various learning styles. The instructor then can guide them as needed. I have read other comments about their expectations for an A based on their "efforts". I have experienced this attitude in my classes. It is not possible for me to determine though whether they are Gen Y'ers or other.

Diane,
this is a great point to remember regarding doing a good audience analysis no matter what & making sure that we are using a variety of teaching styles whether our format be in person or online.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I completely agree with you I get a sense from my Gen Y students that they are entitled to an "A" just from showing up and attending class. That if I don't know the answer research is not necessary "let's just google it". Sometimes I get a feeling of an almost whatever come may attitude, because after all if I just show up and compete I get a ribbon or reward anyways. Now I am not putting them down, but somewhere it seems that self responsibility and pride gave way to the onslaught of the internet and we got so wrapped up in technology, we lost our physical selves. So often I will use the internet and technology to keep them engaged while still being able to stay on topic.

Angela,
and I think using the technology to think the critical thinking skills & self-reliance that are so necessary for career success.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As someone who is a generation Y learner I would have to say the impact of the planning process is much more intense than in the past. I feel this way because individuals of my era tend to have many 'things' going on in their day life. For example, TV today is 'faster' than it once was. The changes in scene/screen shots has increased 10 fold. With the constant go go go our world is accustomed to, we must provide a learning environment that is equal to that of the outside world. We need to integrate technology as much as possible for this cohort of learners. We must keep their mind focuses otherwise we have lost them. If they are thinking/doing something else they will likely miss valuable information.

Dr. Meers,

Since most of my stubents are Kinesthetic learners, the constant urge to touch the keys of their Iphones is an ongoing scene in my culinary classroom. Thankfully, lesson planning includes physical kife skills, technical skills, plate design and food production in general, so students are constantly moving the hands, fingers, and minds to complete production requirements. Since most of their time in class provides a necessity for "teamwork", I feel they have a sense of being "connected" to achieve a common goal, and share the Baby Boomers learned need to work with others. For a brief moment they plug in their phones to recharge, and work together to hopefully find a career that has "meaning" for them.

Sign In to comment