Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Increased technology in lecture, interactivity, and keeping lecture moving all help to appeal to the Generation Y learner.

Eric,
this is an excellent idea & also a great truth to remember: integrated technology. The "technology" use to be the white board or more recently power point, but this is not integrated technology as you talk about.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Theodore,
and we do know that the teamwork/collaboration skills are key to success in today's work environment.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Just like all Generation cohorts discussed in this course, Generation Y learners should have influence on the instructional planning process. Characteristics of Gen Y that I feel impact instructional planning is the connectivity of the course beyond the classroom. Making sure to plan for and adapt lessons so that they may be accessed outside the classroom via the web and computer technology. Planning a way in which the students can communicate beyond the classroom with each other as well as with the instructor is important as well.

Because this generation is so tech dependent, teaching has to be quicker & relevant to their lives. They only utilize the info that they need at that time, without capturing the rest of the info. The information has to be to the point & if possible with picture so that they can visualize what it is that the instructor has been talking about. More technology has to be introduce in the class, like smartphones.

Seth,
this is a great point & it really is a great way of engaging this generation in the material & can also help them develop critical thinking as they engage in discussions, etc on forums (as one example).

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Eva,
this is true, yet we should also be helping them learn to value other information & not only filter to the immediately relevant.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The ability to find an answer to a question but very little requirement to memorize or explore the issue this generation skims a lot of cream from the top. "wait I have a text msg", "My moms on facebook again how embarrassing". Then the constant voices that offer instant gratification to feed their one true question. "Who am I".

I have studied this generation the most, I see their faces everyday come through my classroom.

They crave structure - Actually we have pushed them with all the gadgets to far that now they love hands on. So if your reading this, stop with the technology and have the students do something with their hands. Trust me they love it.

The impact is that Gen Y Learners require a basic understanding of technology and integration of technology into daily life and thus requires that understanding to communicate with them effectively

I find the Gen Y students in my classes generally don't take notes or are not avid note takers. They prefer to have me read through the textbook with them and highlight important points during lecture. They also prefer having guided notes or a study guide. Its as though they want the information given to them instead of having to read and research the text for themselves.
As a Gen Xer, this is MUCH different than the way I was taught in school.

Sign In to comment