Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Characteristics of Generation Y Learners

How do the characteristics of Generation Y learners impact the instructional planning process?

They are very technologically advance...they respond better through "texting" and email as opposed to face- to -face. They typically like distance type learning. They are very diverse and very accepting of diversity. THey are truly the generation who expects immediate feedback and expect immediate responses.

As an instructor you must use interactive learning.We are past the times of strict lecture, even coupled with a powerpoint presentation. Many colleges are implementing the use of SmartBoards for interactive learning. This appeals greatly to this generation, however, as in my college there are many types of students. Generation X, Baby Boomers, and in some cases Veterans that have to adapt to the new technology. I think integrating the new without eliminating the older methods will be most effective.

This group is used to immediate gratification and the learning process is a continual process. They do not know how to deal with this process.

I agree that they must have immediate gratification and learning is a gradual process

More hands-on activities, how the activities apply to their life and help them, using life experiences in their learning process

By incorpating ideals that that they can indentified with providing and nonstructed education for then.

Because they are technology advance it gives them better opportunity to excellent and developed superior skills. With technology both science and education and drafting and engineering skills.

The biggest impact is the role of technology in delivering a lesson...it must be integrated into the plan. The days of PowerPoint presentations and lecturing are replaced with interactive activities that utilize a variety of devices.

Is a reality that educators must face and learn to incorporate in their classroom delivery.

Their familiarity with technology and ability to access information around the world sets the bar high for instructors. While they may not differ physically from past generations of learners,mentally the ARE different. They are used to instant gratification in the form of information that is obtainable in seconds.
They may view instructor's discomfort and suspicion of technology as old fashioned and silly. They can dispute facts in an instant by using their cell phone to access the internet. They may be impatient with lecture and tedious note taking.
All these factyors mean that instructors need to design class time to be engaging and informative-and always get your facts right!

It allows us to teach in a different manner. We can use resources from the internet to display during class or use email to answer student questions.

Sandra,
this is definitely true. What strategies have you found to be successful?

Dr. Ryan Meers

ellen,
you are very right on all of these points. Another key skill we can teach Gen Yers is to become good customers of information. Often a skill that is lacking when they are bombarded with so much info.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Chris,
great point here. While the new technologies can be overwhelming & sometimes intimidating, there are many possibilities for improving our instruction.

Dr. Ryan Meers

You hit on something really important when you said "always check your facts." Gen Yers will hear something during a lecture and immediately look it up...be prepared for that and know the reliability of your sources and the prospect for some argumentation. A lot of subjects, even in the training environment can be controversial, so make sure your sources are the best they can be and welcome the interaction. They could just as well be facebooking during class so if they're engaged in argument, you're doing something right.

Kevin,
great point. And be ready to challenge them on their sources, in a positive way. As has been said, they're used to finding info, but not necessarily checking the authority behind it. They may challenge you with a less than reliable source, so this can be used to demonstrate the need to check the source's credibility.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Definitely the comment about immediate feedback rings true as well as consideration for their personal needs and issues.

I personally like the Gen Y approach - interactive, playful, focused on gaming, which is a great way to stimulate critical and analytic thinking. I teach exclusively online, so I have had to engage the learner in these types of activities for some time.

Generation Y learners want more feedback and relevancy than older learners.

Sign In to comment