Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Showing relevancy of course content

What are some ways you can show your students the relevancy of your course?

To keep students engaged and show them the importance of the educatioN they are receiving will help them to be successful in the field. Keep assigentd and lab procedures interesting and to the point

Hi Katherine,
Absolutely! Once students realize how the information is going to help them in their career, they buy into the course.

Patricia Scales

keeping students engaged to the importance ot the thoery information is to me a very important asspect to the learning process,it keeps them focused on why they are enrolled and helps them to understand what the benifits will be for the future of their success.I am finding all of this imformation to be very helpful and am excited to put it to use.

Hi Roberta,
Students have to have a reason to keep coming back to your class every day. Keep the students fully engaged and excited. Students need to know the benefit of the course.

Patricia Scales

When I am making up my lesson plan I try to insert anecdotes from my job experiences to illustrate how important certain knowledge or skills can be in order to be successful.

Give examples of how the information you are covering relates to every day life. Compare your lecture to things happening in the workforce and in general to the area that you are living in.

Hi Rhonda,
Students get it when we can apply the course to their career. Students want to know how they are going to benefit.

Patricia Scales

Explain why the topic being discussed is important in relationship to the position they are training for and how the more profecient they are the better chance they have for advancement within the industry.

Hi Rhoda,
When we make the course relevant to the students career, they get it, and they understand the relevancy.

Patricia Scales

Show them how it has benefited your experience and how far it has furthered your career.

Hi Kris,
Absolutely! When you can share personal stories that are applicable to the lesson/subject, students gain a better understanding for the importance of the course.

Patricia Scales

by telling your students your life experiences in the field your teaching and how you used what your teaching in real life. By telling the students how you used that specific subject matter, will have the student want to learn more about that subject.

Hi Tony,
Absolutely! Students love knowing how the course is going to benefit them in their career! You can tell some interestsing stories to your students, I am sure.

Patricia Scales

Explain to them the application of their acquired knowledge in the 'working world'.

I totally agree that showing how the topic as furthered my own career as an instructor is essential. This is something that I discuss the first day of class. I also have each student discuss how they see the topic furthering their career aspirations. I feel that my enthusiasm about the topic and about teaching and working with students in general, enhances the student learnng.

I have found that my experience in the field can be used to really draw students into our discussions. Providing students with real life occurences seem to cultivate an atmosphere of learning. Students seem to develop a more engaged type of response when actual "real" experiences can be shared with them regarding their professional role and how events and circumstances can effect them on a day to day basis.

I can give them examples of when they will use this information or skill and tell them about first hand experiences.

The class that I am teaching currently is Medical Law & Ethics. Each chapter begins with a case scenario that I have the class discuss openingly. I ask them questions like, can you see how this could be you? How so? Not just yes or no answers, but instead I have them break into small groups and prepare mini summaries of how the situation could easily be them and come up with similar scenarios where they are the employee involved (medical assistants or health information technicians). I allow time for each group to share detailed but to the point information for relevancy and then as an instructor I inform them if they are on track or need to dig a little deeper. Also, each chapter provides us with addtional scenarios to discuss with answers provided (via instructor resources)that also help bring relevancy to light for students.
Dorcia Dunn

Hi Anthony,
Absolutely! Students want to and need to know how the course is going to benefit them professionally.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment