Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I teach audio production students electronics. One of the ways that I show them the relevance of a highly technical and somewhat tangential topic is to read to them from a sales catalog of production gear. I point out the number and variety of terms used that relate directly to electronics. I then relate specific product features to specific course objectives or weekly breakdown topics. Even students that are more interested in business and management can see that they will be able to make better financial decisions with a deeper understanding of unavoidable industry jargon.

Hi Charla,
Students need to know that what they are learning is extremely useful in the real world. Students are more excited to learn if they know that they information they are learning is practical.

Patricia Scales

Hi Benjamin,
You have to stick to book theory, and perhaps have a guest speaker come in to share experiences/stories.

Patricia Scales

Hi Joseph,
Great way to show course relevancy. There is nothing like bringing the real world into the classroom to show students that what they are learning will definitely be utilized in the real world.

Patricia Scales

Yes, great idea. Thank you very much for sharing. And I hadn't thought about guest speakers. Thank you Patricia.

Hi Benjamin,
Try guest speakers they are the best and students love them.

Patricia Scales

I try to give examples of situations that require knowledge about the subject at hand.

You can show relevancy by giving examples of real world situations where the content of the course can be used

Hi Dirk,
Students love it and appreciate it when we make learning apply to the real world.

Patricia Scales

I teach kinesiology in a massage department so this is an easy thing to show as I teach my students we talk about the massage techniques they would use for different muscles and why certain techniques are best for those muscles based on their action, insertions and origins.

Hi Rodney,
Students can easily see/understand the course relevancy of this course. Student enjoy learning how to give messages.

Patricia Scales

E D 1 0 4 emphasized a thorough outline for organization of the curriculum, which will be presented to the students in the first class, such as expanse or purpose of the syllabus, detailed conveyance of the course requirements,
precise stipulations of grading, means for activating student interests, and presentation of the professionalism of the instructor.
It described a range of characteristics of students which will be helpful in determining responses to them.

My course is trade based. So doing things right is important. I relate a lot of what i teach to real world situations, stressing the importance of following the laws as well as being aware aesthetically of the end product. I incorporate a lot of examples of right and wrong and the end results if it is not done right, all the while pushing the button on professionalism and productivity form my past experience.

Hi Jim,
Awesome! You really give your students a real dose as to how things are in the real world when it comes to this profession. Students really and truly want to know what to expect.

Patricia Scales

Guest Speakers are a nice change of pace from hearing from the same individual. I was able to use our Medical Director of our Program so he carried some extra weight when he came and presented on the topic. I was a little disappointed though when he possed some relatively easy questions and no one responded, as if they did not know the answer. It got easier once one individual spoke up and found her voice. I'll try anything to get my students engaged in the material.

I have worked in the field for 10 years, so I can give them real examples of real world situations.

I teach x-ray, when we are learning a new position I give them a real world example. Something that I have encountered out in the field. I give them little hints to help them when they encounter a difficult patient, or a patient that can't stand or hold the desired position for very long.

Ways to show students the relevancy of the course is to integrate real world experience into lectures and also demonstrate ways they can use the information in their professional and personal life.

Teaching upper levels of Anatomy and Physiology is an imperative portion for massage therapy students. A large portion of them have the attitude of "I won't be doing anything with the heart, so why do I need to learn about it?" I have dealt with this as a student while earning my doctorate in chiropractic medicine. The best way to show relevancy is to make what you are teaching specific to the group you are teaching. For example, I often relate the areas I teach to the "chakra" in which my massage therapists are focusing on. Do they need to know every intricate detail, no. I remind them of this and we focus on the broad topic. I remind them they will see people with certain conditions come into there office and if they can identify it, they may be able to properly get a patient the proper medical care. This is not only rewarding for the patient but it establishes a reputation within the community. They all understand this and are grateful for the opportunities to learn and apply these topics to their future.

I would begin by articulating what the learning goals are. By doing this, I believe the adult learners will gain more motivation to work, just by knowing what goals they are working towards.

I also would highlight the real-world applications of both the knowledge and skills and how they would apply to the subject at hand.

Sign In to comment