Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I use a calendar and a to-do list that I revise everyday.

I tend to put important things off even though I write out to do list. Now that I realize that insecurity plays a major part in this, I am willing to change this practice immediately.

Tara, It sounds like you are in tune with what you need to work on. At the same time, making a sudden and dramatic change could be a challenge. I might recommend starting slow and working your way toward your desired state. This could be a more reasonable approach for you.

Dr. Melissa Read

I usually choose the quicker/easier task first so I then can dedicate the rest of my time to accomplishing the more challenging and detailed task so I am then not frustrated for the quicker/easier task. That is if the deadline is the same for both tasks.

The main purpose for Prioritization is to organize your duties to best mangage your classroom time.

Mindy, Many educators find themselves in a similar position. It can be a great confidence builder to knock out simple and easy tasks first when we have that kind of flexibility with task deadlines.

Dr. Melissa Read

I like to complete my task right away, it keeps me focused on what I need to complete next. When making a to-do list it keeps me focused and on time. I try to set a side enough time that I'm not rushing or forgetting a task.

I wake up about 30 minutes before I have to wake up my children so I can organize my to-do list for the day without any distractions. I do not like to put my tasks off it just makes me feel behind. I like to complete my important task first, it's a good feeling knowing that they are completed.

I agree. Working in the Veterinary field and having a list of tasks that must be completed, has greatly helped me in my time management. I suffer from immediacy! After I give an exam in class, in my mind I am itching to get it graded and get that immediate feedback to my students. It definitely does increase my stress level.

When I use a "to do" list, I do much better at completing important and urgent tasks first. With out my "to do" list, I tend to put them off. I know I have problems with procrastination, so I've learned to rely on "to do" lists to help me overcome it.

I have always tended to be one that meets the challenges headlong, without procrastination. Unfortunately as I've found out, this sense of immediacy has caused me management issues in the past. The need for immediacy versus the actual priority of the task sometimes has caused friction. Over time I learned the valuable lesson to provide timelines for completion to my employees so that they could more effectively prioritize their own workload. I have become much more effective at prioritizing my individual to do's. What I've learned in this module is really more about codifying or formalizing by definitions provided in this course what I was doing. i.e. immediacy, insecurity etc.

I tend to do things as they appear on my desk.
From this module I learned that I should start having a to do list again.

Simply because it will free my mind as well as keep me from being overwhelmed. I used write to do lists years ago...guess I'd better get back to them.

I think I will be starting this habit.

From the module it sounds like a good thing to do especially since I don't have an office and I carry everything in my bag...it's not bad to have a to do list with me.

Kathy, It sounds like you are proactive in completing your tasks. At the same time, you might suffer a bit from immediacy. Sometimes it's nice to hold on completing tasks and instead to enjoy life.

Dr. Melissa Read

I use note cards as a tool to help me prioritize. I will note the item and due date. I am also able to judge by the amount of cards I have if I am behind on tasks. Symbols on the cards identify the urgency of the task

Christine, It sounds like you once had an approach that worked well for you. To your point, perhaps it's time to return to it. At a guess, it will be easier for you to get back into the swing of things than someone who is trying this as a new routine.

Dr. Melissa Read

Beatrice, What an interesting approach. I like how your cards help you assess the volume of tasks that you must complete. What a nice visual reminder.

Dr. Melissa Read

I typically use Excel or the online tool Asana to organize my tasks, and especially when I'm working in a team. I do think I have a problem with immediacy though so I need to work on that!

I actually started making changes in the order in which I accomplish important and urgent tasks in the future. I sit down and priortize what is important, write down a list by priority and then accomplish the list.
In the position I fill, my list can change from day to hour, from hour to minutes on urgency of tasks. I take it upon myself to evaluate the importance and urgency of the matter and communicate as best I can when I can deliver an answer or completion of task.

I already use a 'to-do' list and find it helpful, but I don't usually ask how urgent a task is when assigned by my supervisor. I make an assumption that what she's asking me to do must be done right away, unless she says otherwise.

Moving forward, I could make my list even better by prioritizing my assigned tasks and organizing them with what I already need to do each week.

Does anybody write their lesson plans for the next module ahead of time? I find it difficult to get future work done with all I currently have on my plate.

Sign In to comment