Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I use task lists quite regularly, but I still haven't found the best method.

I find that keeping up with my tasks itself can become overwhelming because it seems like new tasks are constantly coming in faster than I can actually accomplish them.

What is the best way to manage the daily barrage of new tasks?

I have always made lists of things that needed to be done. And always feel a sense of accomplishment when I cross something off. I read somewhere that when you start your day do the hardest thing 1st. It will make your day better.

Russell, Sounds like you have a great system in place. Keeping a daily list probably helps you focus and not feel overwhelmed. Keep it up!

Dr. Melissa Read

Jill, It sounds like you are on top of things. If doing things immediately does not stress you our, and helps you stay productive, keep it up. If you find yourself getting overwhelmed, prioritization may help.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sean, There is no best way to manage, only the best way for you. I encourage you to give some of the methods identified in this course a try and sample various organizational styles until you find the one that is right for you.

Dr. Melissa Read

I have always made lists and prioritized in my head what needs to be done. I try and get the tasks done as soon as possible because as we all know when you take something off 5 more go on the list. It give me a sense of accomplishment and relief at the same time when something is crossed off. I think prioritizing on paper would be more advantageous and easier than in my head.
There was a great deal of important information that would help anyone not just instructors.

This is a subcategory of prioritization, but I find it hard sometimes to prioritize the English Composition papers I have to grade on a regular basis. For example, I might grade all the students' work who I imagine will earn As and Bs because their papers will be easier to get through, and it will look like I got a lot done in a shorter period of time. However, when I am feeling focused and get enough sleep, I know I SHOULD be starting with the most difficult papers with the most corrections.

I've always maintained a to do list, but I prioritize when deciding to tackle items off the list. I am going to start numbering items according to priority. This will help improve my prioritization.

Due to Murphy's law it is important that your tasks priority be organized so you can not stress over the one's that come when least expected.

I am not familiar with the term immediacy, this was new. I do not usually procrastinate, and many times equate dealing with tasks in a timely manner as respecting others. So now I have some food for thought, immediacy may be respecting others at my the expense of my own stress level. Good information in this lesson.

At this stage of my life and my career (I am in the fall of my life)I feel that I am very organized. The suggestions that were given in this course I have found that I applied most of them. The only one that I could improve on is organizing the materials in my laptop. I also use an IPad so sometimes I get confused and it takes me awhile to figure out where that file is! I definitely will work on that.

When I have more than 4 or 5 task that need to be completed I will create a list. More often than not it requires me to contact a number of people and complete some grading.

I generally try to prioritize my lists and focus on the most urgent items based on time deadlines, but will also try and refer to the list frequently and complete a quick or easy task if I have a few minutes here or there to be efficient and to keep the list as small as possible. Otherwise those small things become more urgent the longer they stay on the list! One thing I learned and will try to more of is breaking large tasks down into smaller parts to not feel overwhelmed by the size of the task or the amount of time anticipated it will take to accomplish.

Although I do not do a 'to-do' list, I have a daily regiment which I follow regularly. I keep an organized binder for all classes which I teach. In addition, I make sure each day is structured so that I am completing all of my regular tasks throughout the day. This way, when something is not completed, it is very easy for me to recognize when something is "not right". However, if I incorporated a to-do list, maybe it would make things easier for me, and I would not have to stress about things not getting done when the unexpected happens. I am also someone who has a very difficult time letting go of control. This is something I need to work on.

I seem to be an organizational contradiction! While I am constantly re-prioritizing via 'to-do' lists that are updated daily, I have also struggled with procrastination on some level. However, when I procrastinate, the task isn't necessarily put-off altogether - instead, I am prepping for these tasks mentally, which has worked well for me. When it is time to tackle the responsibility (usually at the last moment), I am more than ready to focus on it's completion. Lately, I have been trying to break this habit because it seems like the more hats I wear, the more likely it is for me to encounter either unforeseen circumstances, or last-minute demands that threaten to de-rail my focus. Ironically, I teach my students about stress and it's affects on the body - particularly stress induced by "oscillation between dualities". Guess I need to practice what I preach?!? LOL

I will change priorities in the future. I tend to do "fun" things first and wait until the last minute for more important tasks. I need to do more regular To-Do lists

Darin, This brings up an interesting point. Often times, the need to create lists is driven by how many tasks we have in our queues, and how quickly tasks accumulate in our queues.

Dr. Melissa Read

Paul, You are not alone. Many of your peers like to accomplish the fun or easy tasks first. It's ok to attack a few of these things as confidence builders. At the same time yes, we do ultimately need to turn our attention to more important things.

Dr. Melissa Read

Lynn, It sounds like you have a good sense of both your strengths and opportunity areas. That's a wonderful position to be in. Yes, do work on the opportunity areas as you can.

Dr. Melissa Read

Tammy, Wonderful to hear you can take something away from this course. Yes, many people who feel like they are on top of things are often also struggling with immediacy. It's good to take a break every now and then and take some time for you.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment