Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Impact on Education | Origin: ED139

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Emotional Intelligence in Learning --> Impact on Education

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

If the instructor is emotionally intelligent, they are able to intepret studnet reactions, perceptions and interests more quickly and therefore able to provide support, additional resources or learning options in order to complete assignments or projects. Thus, EI instructors can create more efficient and effective learning experiences for their students

Emotionally intelligence Instructors can motivate their students to actions.

Ann Nelson

When teacher are emotionally intelligent they can certainly lead their students to success as they themselves learn how to achieve success through non-lenear process in their academic (learning), persoanl and professional life and they can shar their own real life experience with their students so that they (students) can be highly motivated.

Reply to Ann Nelson's post:I am totally in agreement with you here Ann and just to add my thoughts to your nice post, yes intelligent teachers can motivate their students but to a certain point, students themselves must have a certain amount of willingness to be motivated and to follow teachers instructions, teachers cannot motivate anyone who doesn't want to be motivated, there is a certain level of self movement that has to be taken place with a minimum level of action from the part of students, teachers can only do so much. Learning is not put into a capsule that teacher gives to his/her students to swallow and learn everything. Thank you. Anwar

It is good to realize that a focus on our own Emotional Intelligence, as well as other intelligences is important. It has reminded me why I got into education in the first place: To help others discover what they are passionate about and give them the tools to pursue that passion wherever it may take them in life. Giving students (or even other teachers) the tools to really learn and become excited about new things is one of the best feelings in the world. 

emotionally intelligent instructors can pick up on student reactions

The skills related emotional intelligence such as Emotional self-awareness, Emotional expression, Emotional awareness of others, Emotional reasoning is very beneficial to understands, identifie and manage own emotions

The impact of understanding emotional intelligence will help in the conduct of education since it will tailor instructions that match student needs and ways of learning.  This will ensure greater success among the student population. 

Love love loce this... Regardless of subject area or discipline, helping students think, process, and apply well is helping them succeed ACADEMICALLY. Helping students interact, collaborate, and communicate clearly, is helping them succeed SOCIALLY. Helping students manage their time, manage their team/group work with others, and meet deadlines and goals, is helping them PROFESSIONALLY. The entire scope should be the goal of all coursework, projects, demonstrations, and activities.

Ongoing Success

Regardless of subject area or discipline, helping students think, process, and apply well is helping them succeed ACADEMICALLY. Helping students interact, collaborate, and communicate clearly, is helping them succeed SOCIALLY. Helping students manage their time, manage their team/group work with others, and meet deadlines and goals, is helping them PROFESSIONALLY. The entire scope should be the goal of all coursework, projects, demonstrations, and activities. Instructional design should be flexible enough for every student to do well and also continue to grow their intelligences, including emotional intelligence, so that holistic success can occur. Instructors who design flexible and widely scoped learning experiences and environments can have an impact on students well beyond their shared class group. 

Reply to Amanda Haddock's post:    Yes it is important to know that laearing is not always linear and that teachin a diverse group of adults implies we must use all the tools we have at our disposal to engage learning for all students.

The impact on education can be huge while practicing “EI”. Considering a less linear approach to teaching some subject matter, from the intelegences, to student , to instructor can work in some cases,& I will consider this. If I find a good fit for this I will be sure to use rubrics to assess the content. Assessing in this way, one needs to consider & know the actual outcomes that are desired.

Most importantly the ongoing use of “EI” is paramount, & this is what I will be striving for. This “holistic” approach will help me help the students “learn better, in a “well” environment, will be wide scoped, & will remain fluid, as needed.

EI impacts all aspects of a students life and career..

EI can predict success.

EI has a significant influence on success in education. Learning is not always linear and can vary with each instructional method and the receptor of the information. EI can lead to student success if the instructor has strong EI. 

Teachers need to be a mentor to students.

Teaching with EI in mind facilitates a creative learning environment which fosters learning.

Instruction does not need to be a linear process. Students can be more responsible for their part in the learning process when they are encouraged to be an active participant.

It can be used to fully get the students and instructors to understand each other and work together to get the desired educational goal. 

Sign In to comment