Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The section on discipline was especially impactful. It is important we help students develop in this area.  

Critical thinking is an ongoing learning process.  teachers need to develop lessons with this in mind

Discipline, Questioning, Reasoning and Judjement are all important contributing factors to being a good Critical Thinker and for survival.

Some of these have become "naturally challenging" areas for all of us in modern society. We have an expectancy of safety and of our basic needs to be met. We are more and more inclined to seek instant gratification and less willing to put forth effort and practice discipline. 

In many areas of life, and education is no exception, it's more about what we like and enjoy doing than it is about what's good for us and what brings results and adequate growth. 

"It is interesting that politicians on both the national and state levels are constantly complaining that students are not graduating with problem solving skills. They say students of today cannot think critically and yet these politicians have passed a federal law that requires standardized testing of all students. " --> oh, yes! One might say that the passign of these laws is a sign of poor critical thinking. 

I think people forget one of the biggest benifits of attending a post secondary school is, discipline. I mean learning is always a top objective, but combining all of the aspects of school, it brings together the students ability to show being disciplined to be succesful. It encompasses many qualities needed to become succesful. Long term gratification instead of instrant which is where this society is going, so even if had equally qualified candidiates for a job, I would prefer the candidate who attended school even if it was in another discipline as going to school itslef shows many strong qualities. 

Preparing Critical thinkers better prepares students for the real world rather then standardize test.

As an instructor it is my responsibility to develop my students as critical thinker. Everything  has become microwave all speed, within seconds you have everything you like and want. Life as it is doesn't require a person  to think.  

Critical thinking is necessary, it helps to build up the students confidence.  It helps them to have good judgement. It requires discipline, which will help a person develope logical solutions.

Some students will need a lot of assistance with critical thinking.

Able to make a judgement after bringing in facts, getting rid of your feelings and gathering as much about the problem or situation. Asking questions that result in more questions

Critical thinking requires discipline.  Because we live in an age of "instant attainability" students are not willing to spend the time needed to develop critical thinking skills.  It is my job to help them understand the importance of becoming disciplined in the art of asking appropriate questions in order to make judgments that are sound.  These are skills that will carry into their professional lives.

This section gave me a more specific understanding on why students my be inherently resistant to developing critical thinking skills. 

I've come to the conclusion that formative assessment is probably the most effective way to support critical thinking strategies. 

Discipline is paramount for critical thinking. 

Discipline and reasoning are so vital for making sound critical choices and decisions. This is valuable in professional and personal settings.

The critical thinking skills described here are essential to the success of our students.  Using observational abilities, logic, analysis, and good judgement are all resultant of experience, which we are able to provide in the  classroom laboratory.

As teachers, we should be communicating to our students that judgment is an important component of critical thinking, that must be  developed through experience.  Students usually don't have  this experience at the start of their education. We as educators can provide resources for opportunities to experience real-life situations through service learning and fieldwork experience. 

The concept of discipline stood out the most to me, as I have witnessed issues with this in the high school classes I teach. Students are often times not motivated to invest their time, energy, effort, etc. BUT as an instructor, you have the opportunity to convince them that these things are important, and thus enable them to think more critically in the classroom.

Critical thinking is an essential skill that allows individuals to analyze information, make informed decisions, and solve complex problems. Some key characteristics of a critical thinker include the ability to think logically and systematically, to evaluate evidence and arguments objectively, to be open-minded and flexible, and to communicate effectively. Critical thinkers are able to identify and question assumptions, consider alternative perspectives, and draw well-reasoned conclusions based on the available evidence. They are also able to recognize and manage their own biases and emotions, and to engage in reflective thinking and self-evaluation. Additionally, critical thinkers are curious and persistent, and are committed to lifelong learning and the pursuit of knowledge. Developing these characteristics of a critical thinker takes time and practice, but can be a valuable asset in both personal and professional settings.

I believe that as instructors we need to foster a passion for learning and critical thinking. With discipline, a person will have collected sufficient information and developed viable solutions.

Reasoning, questioning. discipline and judgment are required for critical thinking that teaches students to effectively solve problems.

There is a need for us as instructors to slowly build the concepts of discipline, questioning, reasoning and judgement as well as introspection in our students..... especially if we take into consideration what the students of today have as expectations for college level course work. If we push to hard these lazy, entitled students we see today will shut down because the demands of critical thinking are novel, intense and frankly, scary when we look at their current skill set. Educating them on the benefits of these factors in critical thinking and then demanding that they apply these skills in a progressive manner will hopefully allow them to build themselves up as opposed to shutting down. 

Sign In to comment