Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think a lot of it depends on where you are teaching, if you are a full time instructor or an adjunct instructor who comes to school 1-2x a week. As an adjunct instructor I find that a lot of time is spent hauling in materials, hauling out materials, getting set up, etc. End result--it is difficult to grow because we get bogged down with school rules and regulations!

I try to read the materials before class and feel fresh when I walk into the classroom. Depending on my class and the levels of the students, I attempt to adjust how I present the materials based on how they are presenting themselves. If they look tired, I don't lecture much.

I firmly believe that you can NEVER know enough about the subject you are teaching; even if you have taught it for years and years. However, if you are well versed in your subject matter, this will give you more time to work on (polish) your classroom techniques, etc.
I try to work on my content knowledge AND classroom teaching techniques every week, however depending on the topic for the week I may devote more time to one or the other. As you become a more experienced "learning facilitator" you start to sense what you need to work on and strengthen each week. Of course, all of this also depends on the students in your class: are they eager learners, do they seem distracted, are they interested in the course content, etc.

-James Moore

It is a tough balancing act.
My priority is usually to make sure I have mastered the content for the class day before I work on new ways of teaching the material.
In all cases, there is never enough time for everything!

I love this statement. I try to tweak something every class. Or add new activities when possible. Every now and then an activity fails miserably.

Hi Terrance! It happens sometimes - I remember introducing a particular activity to a large group of students (including a specific visual and display)and I forgot how the activity works -very hard to recover and re-engage interest. However, as you note, tweaking our methods and trying new activities are crucial to keeping a classroom or lab fresh, stimulating, and motivating. Bravo for your efforts!

Jay Hollowell
ED107 Guest Facilitator

It can be embarrasing if you let it. I try to be flexible with my schedule when trying something new.

In part. I teach 4 courses per quarter, and these need preparation (new books, new courses, new technology)and, therefore, some of the development of new teaching techniques comes after course preparation.

Of course, some new teaching ideas are incorporated in the course development process.

Yes, that is true. Some of us do not have the luxury of teaching the same course, term after term. So it becomes a balance, with course development taking the forefront, of necessity.

Amen.

The more times you teach a particular subject, the more time you have to refine your techniques.

But I agree, each group of students are different and present their own set of challenges.

When you are trying to expand your knowledge and styles, I find it best to pick others minds. Ask co-workers, other instructors. See what has worked for them and what style of teaching they use. Not only do you have to potential to learn a new method of deliverying the information you have an opportunity to learn new information that you may not have already known.

i read at home on the subjects i teach so i can be up todate on the materail. it helps the students and myself.

The students diffrent personalities help to adjust the learning enviroment.

When a student asks a question that I cannot answer (and sometimes can) I make a class project out of it by supplying a reasonable amount of time for all to research and provide a response with references. This involves the students in the problem solving exercise and allowing them to tell the class how they found the information (a free second lesson on other available resources).
I feel this method serves well to increase confidence and knowledge all around and also reminds students that even the "subject matter expert" can still learn as well.

I enjoy going into other instructors classses to see what they are doing and how i might incorperate some of there lesson plan into my on presentation. i get ot see how there deferent approaches to a subject differs from mine and what aspect of ther presentation is different than mine

As an administrator, rather than a "teacher" I have the opportunity to observe teachers in the classroom, seeing what works in various situations and what doesn't. I encourage faculty to talk with one another about their ideas. What kinds of activities do they ues in their classes. How can they reach problem students. By discussing these and many other issues, they don't have to reinvent techniques that work. These discussions flow naturally from the collegial environment on our campus and enrich the instructor and student.

I find that the daily exposure to the subject matter and discussing it with students takes care of most of the subject matter learning. When something new comes along I usually see it in articles from a professional association or a student will bring it to my attention.

Regarding how I develop new ways of teaching... I simply add one or two new ideas in each semester. If the idea or new process works, I keep it if not I try something different.

In both areas, I try to make small steps rather than investing huge amounts of time and making wholesale changes.

I feel that when I listen to my peers, it helps me out for when I teach my students.

I try to keep up on all the new things going on in the industry but I also ask if anyone has heard of this going on and have students give their input.STudents will ussually let me know what ways they got the information and give me a idea of how they learn and what catches their interest.I try to keep learning fun safe and educational all at the same time which is real hard at times.

I am always looking for new ways or better ways to do things. just because i know how i perform a certain task does not mean that there is not a better way or more effecient way to do it,so i try to encourage students to tell me how they thint it should be accomplished!

Sign In to comment