Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Obtaining new knowledge about any subject is something I love, making it easy for me to balance learning, teaching and time in the classroom. In addition to researching needed subject matter, I allow my students to teach me while I teach them. Another great way to learn is by networking and brainstorming with other instructors. If you take the time to saturate yourself with continual learning, teaching becomes easier. I always tell the students I teach that being an instructor/teacher does not mean you are an expert in the subject. I tell them I learn something new each time I teach a class, even if I have taught it several times before. To be good at what you do, you have to make a commitment to learning. If you make that commitment the rest will flow together with a natural rhythm of balance.

Hi Juanita!

Good work! I really like it that you see the value in engaging students for your own learning. We can always learn from each other.

Please tell me a little more about sharing your schedule - it sounds interesting.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

This is a constant struggle for me. As an adjunct instructor, I currently work a full time job in addition to providing instruction. For the technical side it is relatively easy because I can bring the OTJ dyanmic to the classroom. I find myself pressed to find the time to review the various resources to develop new ways of teaching. The courses that are offered through CEE are very helpful.

Deborah Balentine

This is a constant struggle for me. As an adjunct instructor, I currently work a full time job in addition to providing instruction. For the technical side it is relatively easy because I can bring the OTJ dyanmic to the classroom. I find myself pressed to find the time to review the various resources to develop new ways of teaching. The courses that are offered through CEE are very helpful.

Deborah Balentine

Hi David!

In this age of technology, we should never sit down to our computers that we don't learn something. I've often used tidbits of information from the computer to spark conversations and have been amazed to where it has taken us. Learning is always present, if we are receptive.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
Ed107 Facilitator

I like to find that balance according to the needs of the classes that are in front of me. If I think that my class needs a new way of instruction from me, or a way that is different from my usual instruction, then I will try to find that new way.

If I don't need to change the way that I teach a particular lesson, then I won't spend much time on changing it, but use my time instead, to improve my knowledge of the subject so that i can make it more interesting for myself and the students.

I am not afraid to tell my students that I don't know everything about a certain topic. Throughout the course I like to give everyone a research topic to go home and learn about. That topic may be on a subject that I am not very familiar with. The next morning we have a short class discussion on the topic. The result is that everyone listening learns something new.

I always tell my students we need to have an open dialougue in class, one question from a student while the class is paying attention can help several students learn something critical to the class material.

I find learning more about the topics I teach to be fun. The more you know about something the more you realize how little you really know? It can be great to bring that to the classes when appropriate, and only if it benefits the students. The students enjoy things that are current and my learning keeps that happening.

You really have to want to learn more. That takes a commitment on my part to do professional development. Taking classes, reading material, seminars, etc. are very helpful for me. This MaxKnowledge gets me excited about the new ways I am learning and how I can up it to the test tomorrow in class.

Great approach David!

Very productive to have students to do research on topics that we "all" need to know more about. I often use this strategy as well.

Ask lots of leading questions. Always be prepared to answer if no one else does but usually someone will offer something and the learning begins.

Hi Homer!

As an instructor, I always like to hear what the students have to say. I am often humbled as an instructor/facilitator as I learn so much from students.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I personally view my own knowledge as something that constantly needs to be refreshed. By continuing to learn more about cooking and educational method I find myself to be a better cook and teacher. I find the challenge of incorporating new information to be a balance of learning more myself and relearning what I have forgotten because I do not use that material on a daily basis. Teaching cooking allows me to constantly refine many differnet techniques and excercise my mental focus.

Greetings Dianne!

Good job! When someone wants to learn - they learn! Because of technology we have so many opportunities for learning; most are easily accessible and allows us to learn something in a short period of time. We actually have more than we can keep up with - but it's GREAT!

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I balance the need to learn and the development of new ways of teaching by continual research of the subject matter in my field and the constant adjustment of my teaching style to meet the ever changing needs of the various students in my class.

With the courses that I instruct/facilitate, Medical Coding; the coding is updated each year. Therefore, I need to keep up to date with the changes. Also, I tutor the online students on the phone. That helps me to be creative in my delivery of the material. That in turn helps me be a better facilitator in the classroom.

I see the need to expand my need to learn about my subject separate from developing new ways of teaching the class. I read trade journals, books, attend seminars and take professional development classes to learn more about my subject. I do the same for teaching. Growing in the classroom is about utilizing both at the same time. One usually leads into the other.

Since we teach entry-level students a lot of the time, we have a bit of anvantage. Topice are set firmly in our curriculum giving us the chance to concentrate on new teaching styles. In the Le Cordon Bleu division, Instructors have little say in topics that are taught, we facilitate....

It's not easy to find time to do both. Fortunately, I am obsessed with the topic I teach-food and cooking-so researching to learn more is always fun. I really depend upon these MaxKnowledge courses to help me devise new ways of teaching. Also, my school has monthly faculty in-service days where we are given seminars on teaching more effectively.

Hi Anne!

You have several very good opportunities for personal learning. Instructor should see any situation as a chance to learn. Don't forget that students are excellent teachers as well.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Sign In to comment