Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you balance the need to learn more about the topics you teach with your need to develop new ways of teaching and your classroom time?

Hi Mark!

A very good way for you to grow and learn in - what sounds like - a stagnant environment.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Greetings Mike!

Yes, you do have an "appetizing" topic! It's always great when instructors have the opportunity to get new information and when we have learning experiences with colleagues as well as students.

MaxKnowledge is dedicated to providing the latest information, and a forum for discussion and for sharing with colleagues.

We thank you for your participation and keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Sometimes trying something new fails... instead of being embassassed, I laugh. The students get caught up on the fun of the teacher "blowing it", and hense, the material sticks in there mind!

Linnie,
this is true & it also helps our students to be more willing to experiment & fail themselves.

Dr. Ryan Meers

There are times when a student may ask a question I have never been asked before.It puts a hole new way to look at the material.I have even had parts of the material I never really put much emph on until a student asked. Then the material became part of dicussion.

anthony,
I too have this happen from time to time. Or when having a discussion they will make application in an area I had not thought of, this is always exciting.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

This is a very good point. Doing this will ensure that you grow as an instructor and in a way increase your own experience base! Good tip. Will definately try this out.

I try to keep up to date with my field (dental hygiene) by attending continuing education classes, and encouraging students to use evidence based research papers and apply what they find in the research paper in treating patients. In clinic while the students are treating patients, I encourage discussion with the patient on what the research says about their oral health care.

Annie,
I like this approach as it's multi-faceted & I especially like the approach of discussing with patients as this keeps the interpersonal skills fresh too.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

communication is very important and should be play in all class setting

Brandy,
yes, effective communication with our students is so key to their success & our effectiveness.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment