Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As an instructor at a facility with pre-prepared lectures I found that EL allowed me to turn long lectures into in-class exerecizes that provided all the necessary notes and data while performing some sort of tasks. This not only helped the students for obvious reasons but I no longer dread getting to THAT lecture. Students can tell if you are not into the subject instantly and will turn you off immediately. I had no control over the content of the lecture but I had control over how it was presented so I played with it and now we have fun. Others may find themselves in a simialr situation where you don't have authority to change the content so perhaps you can try changing the presenting of it.

You are absolutely correct - one must be confident in themselves, in terms of understanding the material and if they are not research, study, discussion with experts, etc.

LaWanda:

Welcome to the course!

I agree that confidence is important and confidence comes from great preparation. A great learning facilitator also has to be humble, always learning how to improve their classroom delivery, and never feeling like they know it all!

Lou Russell
www.lplusearn.com
lou@russellmartin.com

I agree with Jean's comments. It is now front page news that the more you tesch a sodject the more you know that subject. Then you will find yourself a better Facilitator.

Raymond,

That's true with the really great faculty. However, some people learn a little and then get very protective about what they know. They stop learning and this does not translate into a great experience for the students. Whenever I feel the urge to close my eyes to new research or something that contradicts something I've believed, I try to push myself through, and it is always worth it.

Lou Russell

Every instructor has time set aside during the week to complete non-teaching tasks like attending seminars, doing research, etc. We also have instructors set in on others classes and observe. Thus yields very useful feedback on how all of us are doing.

Donald,

What a great benefit for great faculty. Taking the time to learn and grow is a critical part of doing a great job helping others learn.

Lou Russell

I constantly read up on materials to learn more about the topics I teach. This gives me the ability to change my teaching techniques not only to help the students but it also keeps me from getting into a rut teaching the same way over and over again

Scott -

This is a great way of staying up to date. Sometimes when people become faculty they are afraid to learn anything new, afraid it will challenge their authority. But I believe that the greatest teachers are also the greatest learners. Your students are lucky to have you!

Lou Russell

I feel that the balance is easy if you approach it with a positive mind set. Additional education is always timely. This can seem to take away from valued preparation time. If one can remember to focus on the positive it helps. The positive in this case is the greater your depth of education becomes on any one subject the deeper your understanding of the subject also becomes. This understanding of the subject makes it easier for you to branch out and use different teaching styles and techniques. So yes it is time consuming on the front end, but makes the work load flow at the back end.

This is a strangely-worded question -- I found it hard to understand.
Learning more about the topics I teach comes naturally and at an even pace, since I practice what I teach (directing movies) in real life. I come across new information and knowledge all the time.
Watching students assimilate information in class can help tweak the way things are covered. It also gives insight into how to continue to develop the class. I take notes during and immediately after class, and I take full advantage of those notes in future classes. It helps to do some homework in class, in real time.

I think that you can do both at the same time, and also that when you are new to a topic you have the advantage of knowing what it is like hearing it for the first time; you can relate to your students in a very direct way and this will help you design lesson plans keeping that in mind.

Hello,

Taking a class, such as this one, helps me to remain focused on creating the best learning environment for my students.

I also try to tune in to each new class. Each class has its own unique personality, so even though I stay focused on the course objectives, the way my students learn those objectives may differ from one class to the next.

Hi Jean,

I agree. If the instructor is excited about the material, the students will pick up on that excitement.

Thanks, Carol! True, each class has its own dynamics. I often poll students during the course (sort of ongoing evaluations)to make sure I am on the same page with them and that any issues, questions, etc. are resolved.

Staying focused on the course objectives help to ensure expected learning outcomes across the diversities of student characteristics and styles.

Jay Hollowell
ED107 Guest Facilitator

I think, as the module points out several times, that you definitely have to be aware of both the need for learning about your topical area and the need for learning new methods of teaching that topic. They certainly go hand-in-hand.

I get most of the topical learning done through reading journals, listservs, etc. on a regular basis, but this topical learning doesn't really improve my ability to facilitate learning in a classroom. To find new ways of teaching, I also devote equal time to pedagogical improvement by attending webinars/seminars such as this one, taking advice from peers, taking notes after classes, etc.

I am an instructor in my field instead of actually practicing in my field. I stay current in my topics by attending relevant continuing education and reading journals. Attending continuing education seminars places me in the student/learner position, which gives me a different perspective on the subject. I pay close attention to how guest speakers present material. Not only am I staying current, but I'm also studying technique. I'm not sure that someone can be too prepared for class, so I am always working to improve my material.

I find that the materials students bring to class can enhance the learning experience for the rest of the students. I then transfer the gems to future classes. However, I need to find new information in my field to stay energized about the topics, especially in remedial classes. The historic development of these topics give me class material and new information to use in class.

I have taught for a long time, but my students can show me how to teach them. My "bag of tricks" is well equipped, but the expressions on their faces tell me whether I have succeeded.

Balancing these two has been like a seesaw. I tend to search for a teaching technique when I am not reaching a student. I am an avid reader so learning about how people learn is as much a hobby as it is my profession. This gives me a good set of background information.

Classroom time, however, doesn't always fit with the student's learning style. Making use of the resouces outside of the classroom is essential to helping some of the students succeed.

The same is true of learning. The students have to feel confident that they can succeed in a class. Another term that is related to this is "safe". If the student feels safe in the classroom, learning can happen. That means safe physically, safe from ridicule, safe to experiment, safe to fail and try again.

Adaptability is definitly a key to being a successful learning facilitator. Each student is different and finding ways to encourage their best learning is the task! Creativity is another key - but that infers one has the time to be creative. Finding quiet reflective chunks of time is what I need to do so. I'm not an adrenaline junky! So each of us must understand our own needs first.

Sign In to comment