Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Connal!

Good job! The one area that you did not mention is learning from you students. Remember they have so many things to teach us.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Time managment is critical, and I find through experience that humility is a great asset. If I assume that I know it all, I get stagnant and become unwilling to adapt or change. If I am humble, I am more willing to seek out ways to improve.

Humility is a great asset for me. If I am humble I will more easily adapt. If I am in a "Know it all" mode, I will stagnate and get complacent. I manage my time better through humility. it keeps me grounded.

Ususally I refeclt at the end of a course on issues that I want to hadnle better for the next tiem i teahc the course and make a note of making changes to to make myself a beeter instructor

Although the class time is 4 hours; time goes by fast. I try to plan an individual activity, as well as a group activity, along with the class lecture and some type of assessment.

Unfortunately, students feel they have to "get a grade" for everything they do; instead of taking the activity as a learning experience.

I enjoy learning from my students and tell them that I only know what I know and I'm willing to find out what I don't know with their help. I try to empower the students to be active in their learning without looking for "a grade".

As said before, learning about the subject one teaches along with being able to be creative and knowing your students.

As said before, learning about the subject one teaches along with being able to be creative and knowing your students.

Hi Paul!

Good for you! Instructors have to realize that they do not know it all. When they don't, the student isn't the only loser. Learning must be a life-long adventure for all of us.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I review the material before and after each new class. I have found that I can always add or restructure the material presented to accomodate the class make up. I also research current events and historical events to make the application of the information more interesting.

With adult learners, I will incorporate more correlation to historical and current events. It helps them to see the material as it ties into their daily lives and how it can directly affect them in the future. I am able to incorporate more free flowing discussions and allow more animated "exchange of opinion".

With younger learners, I will incorporate more multimedia presentations and generally provide a more structured presentation to avoid getting off track or losing the students attention.

The more immature students, usually the younger students, are readily disenthused after only a few minutes of straight lecture. So yes, Eduardo, I agree that periphery visual aides around the room, an organized and colorful white board, the use of power points, and even a little appropriate music can bring their interest level back to where they become engaged

you must constantly be open to new and updated information on the subject you teach so you can stay in step with our fast paced world.

As an educator, teaching has become second nature. The new experience with each class comes with learning new course materials, getting to know the students and their learning styles.

In preparation for class or balancing the need to learn more about a topic with my need to develop new ways of teaching, I include activities that allow students to work independently, in groups, and provide opportunities for whole group discussion with each class.

When students do not come to class prepared, class time is not a waste due to my including a group activity that will assist them in grasping concepts after I reviewed the chapter(s) for the day.

Absolutely Eric!

If we are on top of the subject we instruct and stay in tune with the students, we are continuously learning.

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

i do a lot of reading on the subjects I teach.

Hi Richard!

What do you teach? When I have the opportunity, I like to sit in on other instructors classes. I always learn new information and ways of presenting that info. Don't forget - there is a tremendous amount of knowledge that can be learned from our students.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

The ways I learn more is by going to demos and going to restaurants to help out seeing new ways of doing things.

Often times, I find that as I'm preparing PowerPoint presentations and other learning aids for my classes, I discover some information that is relevant to my field. I try to actively seek out information pertaining to my industry on a regular basis so that I can keep myself informed. I have found that by doing this, I'm better prepared to address questions and comments from students.

As a Instructor I always believe that as much knowledge as I may have in my field I also learn from my students, students are great teachers themselves who we can learn so much about ourselves. When a student wishes to show a new technique I embrace it and show it to the class and praise the student. It helps student to develop their learning and get excited about.,

I keep involved and updated with my subject matter through trade organizations and publications.
I am moving up progressively with my industry certifications in my field, which require self study - and increasing my knowledge base as an instructor.
By following current events, it helps me and my students apply the classroom to relevant "rela world" scenarios.
For example, the historic 2009 Bordeauz vintage, or the latest scandal about discriminatory hiring and harassment at a local restaurant...

I'm always opened to new ideas and new information.It doesnt mater from the students or other instructors.I always benefit from it.

Sign In to comment