Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Growing Yourself as a Learning Facilitator

I think that when you are more confident about the material you are teaching, you are likely to feel more capable of experimenting using new tools to facilitate learning. When preparing for a class when the topic is more "known," the time that would have been spent reading on the topic, can be devoted to preparing a new way to present the material.

Jean -

Sorry this took so long... I'm just figuring out how these classes work! I'm a face-to-face person as you might have guessed from the materials.

I agree, your comment is the BEST approach. However, there are people who go to 'the dark side', who substitute slick presentation skills and tricks for good solid knowledge. It is critical that all these techniques be mapped to the learning objectives of the class to ensure that its education rather than edutainment.

Lou Russell

I have always had the new instructors I have had in my classes think about their subject material like a forest. Someone who is unfamiliar with the forest will need to follow the trail on the map very carefully so they do not get lost between the start of their journey and the end. However, an individual who is familiar with the forest can deviate here and there and always return to the correct trail so they can complete their journey but see whatever suits their immediate needs. If you are confident and skilled in your subject material you can see when it is time to get your students engaged on a different level or in a different direction. A class needs to have activities that are planned but it is equally as important for a facilitator to be capable of reading a class and seeing an opportunity for learning experience. I feel the more you know about your subject the better you can facilitate any new style or exercise. So know your subject.

I agree with the previous comments that you have to be well prepared for class. Being able to read the levels of the student means you have to be flexible to try new learning techniques. I find Instructors not confident with their subject will be too rigid and afraid to open up the floor to the students. I encourage my Instructors to allow classroom participation and if a question arises they cannot answer we "park it on the board to come back to later. This gives the Instructor more confidence with the students and time to get the correct answer if they did not know it. It is important to know you cannot answer everything especially in technology .

Dear Linda:

You make a very important point. Eventually, every instructor will be asked a question they can't answer and we all have to be prepared to say 'I don't know, but let's find out.' I like your process, and now with the age of Internet, some classrooms would allow you to drop right into Google or whatever and look up the answer!

Lou Russell

When I find a topic that I would like to learn more about, careful attention is given to the process in which "I" find it easier to grasp and retain. Once this is accomplished, that process is simulated in the classroom.

hmmm... slick presentation skills and tricks... edutainment....

As one who has been accused of these very things, I tend to feel that the proof is in the pudding to misuse the old quote.

One of my favorite "slick tricks" is to become the "DNS expert"... which in this case stands for "Don't Know Squat." I purposefully interject one "mistake" in information that has been covered in the preperatory homework that they should... I mean CAN recognize as a mistake.

I never give a direct answer to a question... instead I ask a question that should... I mean WILL... lead them into "discovering" the answer for themselves.

In my particular subject, I am required to cover mathematics ranging from Algebra up to Introductory Calculus within a fifteen week semester with students who primarily have not been exposed to Algebra successfully. This is a secondary thought to the main topic rather than the main topic to be covered. Another "slick trick" is to not even mention the words "Algebra", "Trigonometry", "Analytical Geometry", or "Calculus". Instead, as the old Nike slogan, we just DO it. And when they say "this is hard", I just remind them that they thought playing Football was hard when they first started.

I DO agree with the concept that tricks and misdirection can not take the place of subject knowledge... but if the subject knowledge is there and core content is being covered,... the more entertaining the subject, the more the student is going to learn.

Edutainment with a purpose?

I would argue that "--tainment" could just as easily be a derivative of "attainment" as "entertainment".

But... by the same token... I have seen people attempt to emulate what I do... at the directive of supervisors. And have it fall apart on them.

Humor, Music, Flashy lights, glitz... these should only be worked in to supplement the core content AND if they "fit" the instructors personality. Ben Stein attempting a Robin Williams routine would just NOT WORK.

I apologize if I seem to be a tad defensive. I'm afraid I have been the subject of criticism with just these terms by outside observers. But, since students tend to pass industry standard certs, I tend to not be swayed to change.

We are all just Padawans together though. And the dark side does take many seductive forms. Best of luck... and may the Force be with you... always.

Kevin -

It's fun talking with you! I have also been accused by people in the same way. "Please don't use those silly tricks on the executives" - I do anyway, they love it. "Isn't Accelerated Learning just giving people little toys? Just playing music? Blah, blah?" Nope, AL is about using the individual way a person learns best to learn. Everything in my classroom may look 'fun and light' but it is (mostly) designed specifically to target brains AND meet the learning objectives. Games for games sake are wrong. Activities to improve evaluations are wrong. ANYTHING that improves learning is RIGHT. I think you and I are on the same page. It's all about the learner. I'm going to have to look up Padawans...

Lou Russell

Ron -

Tell me more about this. It sounds like you are very conscious of what is interesting to you as you learn the topic and carry that over to your learners. I think that is a wonderful technique, and one I share. At the same time, you and I will stay mindful that not everyone learns like we do.

Lou Russell

Padawans...I'm embarrassed - I should have known that, Jedi Master.

Lou Russell

The best way to grow is to experiment with the non-traditonal ways of presenting, as an instructor this opened many doors to learning more about the topic that reading the text.

Me and Yoda... short, green, and bald.

So... how do I go about bribing you to come tell my new starts how "fun I am to talk to" on the first day the next time I have some? :p j/k

I admit that SOME of what I practice is gleaned from being a third generation teacher. Some from Master's level classes ((the ones I stayed awake for)). But, most... I remember what annoyed me the most and try to do the opposite.

I have never seen any reason for education to be BORING. I understand the concept of keeping a group of people moving in the same direction. But... do we have to do it in a uniform lock-step march?

In our case, they already have an interest in learning what we have to offer. Rather than fanning the flames of desire, more often we should just have to get out of the way and let them rush to their own Relampago.... offering gentle brush guards to keep them from getting tangled in the undergrowth of the forest of knowledge.

Thank you for the vote of confidence! :)

Joseph:

Well put. I think it's really important to try something a little different in each class to see if you can improve the students' learning a little more each time. I've learned so much reading, tweaking and trying new things in class.

Lou Russell

Kevin:

Here's a little quote for you - our passion is the same -

Enable me to teach with vision, for I shape the future.

Stay focused on the learner. All will be well.

Lou Russell

You have to do what you try to teach your students. Stay on top of your learning and always move forward.

Dear Brenda:

Can you give me some examples specifically about how you would model these behaviors in your classrooms?

Lou Russell

This is done by being intuissive as to how best I can achieve retention by the students and accessing the right speed to use in covering the syllabus for the course.

One needs to be confident about what he is to deliver as a facilitator; the difference comes as to the level of experience of the facilitator in delivering learning materials considered. In addition, the academic level of the learner needs an accurate assesment by the facilitator prior to initiating his delivery. With that in mind, the facilitator can plan in detail how to present and facilitate learing to his students.As to preparing a new way to present the material, intuition, humor , and style are good tools that come in handy.

Slick substitute may work only for a brief period, its like one running away from his problem. Sooner or later one has to face it. The students should never be underrated, they are intelligent enough to know when one is joking and when one is lying.

It goes to confirm the fact that a person should ONLY be himself. Trying to be someone else is like trying to escape from reality. It leaves the impression that someone is trying to hide something.

Sign In to comment