Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In the course I teach we have three different subjects and one test per subject which is pass or fail. The students know where their grade is all the times.

I like to give my students a progress report at least twice during a course, I also monitor their grades and advise them at that time of their grades at the end of the topic of study.

Hi Kenneth:
Good job. Frequent updates with monitoring provides the best hope for identifying weaker students or smaller problems before they become bigger.

Regards, Barry

Hi Terry:
Some courses work like this and the grading system you descibe is quite satisfactory. In the end, it's the learning that has occured, not the grade or grading system.

Regards, Barry

I share the formative grade with the student immediately after the test is graded and anytime the students request it and I keep track of the formative grade so as to help me spot a student that might be in trouble and needing help before it is to late.

Hi Errol:
Your instant reporting hsure should give the student a current sense of how they're doing. Tracking grades also lets you take time to discuss the students progress, especially if they're falling behind. That personal touch can go a long way towards having the student feel you're there for them.

REgards, Barry

Sharing the student scores is an ongoing task. many of the students want to know after each lab or test. others wait till the end of the week. however, if a student is doing less than satisfactory i pull them aside as soon as possible.

We build a grade sheet and the student enters his grades after the test/quiz is graded. The instructor signs for every entry. At this time the instructor can show the student what their total is at that point in their training. This makes sure the student understands how well he is doing at any time during the program.
NO SURPRISES!

Hi Steve:
Good plan - let the students know how they're doing as soon as possible. They'll appreciate knowing where they stand and possibly be motivated to try harder.

Regards, Barry

Hi Tom:
Good plan. Open, transparent (new buzz word), informative, helpful.

Regards, Barry

This info is shared with the student whenever they want it. I share it with a student if i see there might be trouble and that they might need help in that subject or to better understand where there mistake was.

Hi James:
Sure - this is one of the ways a test can do more than just assess what a student knows, but also where there still may be weaknesses and what the students current status in class is.

Regards, Barry

I share this information if they look like they are struggling with the info, if it looks like they are going to fail the class, and when they ask.
This way I can help the students that need the help without them being scared to ask for tutoring.

I will share the grades with the students early on the last day, this will give the students a good feel for how well they need to perform the rest of the day

In the courses I teach I have the students keep track of there own scores and 2-3 times a course I consult them one on one to mentor the ones falling behind .This encourages them to stay motivated.

The students see their score at the end of each test, so they have a running total of their own. I do provide their overall class or lab scores to them if they request them.

Hi Adam:
Student almost always want to know their grades (alyjough they're not always happy with the information!). Sounds like you're being proactive in identifying students who may be in danger without some intervention. This is good teaching practice.

Regards, Barry

Hi Robert:
Well, anytime a student can be strengthend by positive reinforcement, in most cases, is probably a good thing. If students feel good, they'll probably be more open to learning new material.

Regards, Barry

Hi Mike:
This is a very interesting motivational strategy. It seems the students are held accountable. And usually, students are not going to make errors or inflate their own grades because they recognize it will really do them little good. Also, I've found that students will usually be harder on themselves than the instructor would be.

Regards, Barry

Hi John:
Good example on on-going, on-course assessment. Little chance for someone to lag behind and not be aware of their status.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment