Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Peter:
Keeping your students informed is a good practice. When you discuss their grades, it gives you and the student an opportunity to personalize things. I think that helps build trust for each other.

Reagrds, Barry

I teach a 28 day course. I give the students their mid-term grades at the halfway point and the final grade on the last day. They are always more than welcome to see their grades at any time through-out the course, although this is not always a true gage depending on the different %'s of tests, projects, etc..I feel that the students should be able to acess this information, i cetainly have nothing to hide!
The vast majority are happy to see the mid-term and final grade as the grading criteria is in the course syllabus and they have a good idea where they stand.

Hi Andrea:
Good! Well constructed grading rubrics or similar comprehensive grading policies seem to create a climate where the student feels empowered in that they are in charge of their grades and performance. Mostly, I think thats a good thing.

Regards, Barry

Struggling students are like the wounded. They need attention first. Then you can review with the others.

Hi Louis:
What a kind thought! And a helpful suggestion that we all could positively reflect on. Sometimes the "walking wounded" are the least deserving because they have failed to study, do the assignments, or seek the help that would get them out of their hole. It takes maturity by the teacher to work with all students with same effort and focus.

Reegards, Barry

Depending on the number of Exam's that are given WEEKLY is the most common,However if i have a student that is border line (to me 80% or below )i will inform him or her of there status,and advise study options. If a student comes to me and ask there status i will let them know as soon as possible (break or lunch or after class) It is of the most importance that a student knows there progress,however on day one i instruct them on keeping up with there time out as well as labs turned in and on how to calculate there grade.(they forget) The benefit to me is knowing if i am getting the course material across to the students,and who may need extra heep to suceed.Benefit to student removes (STRESS)and where they may need to do extra study.

Hi Milton:
Great! Your concern and interest in your students success is reflected in the sentiments expressed here. Sometimes, it does tak a little extra effort, but the payoff is is improved student performance.

Regards, Barry

I have changed my approach on sharing their scores with them. In the past it was, if I saw a problem, I would share their scores. I now share their scores multiple times a phase.It helps their focus and they know where they stand, before it is too late.It also alerts, or rewards them after a hard task was performed.

Hi James:
Good. I think students like to know where they stand (even if it's not good news). It gives the instructor an opportunity to meet with the student to discuss both class and (sometimes) personal concerns the student may be experiencing.

Regards, Barry

At our school we are on a 28 day cycle. I give a cumulative score on each Monday. Then they know exactly where they stand and if they need to do better at their studies and or lab work. It also forces me to stay on top of my grading and knowing where each of my students stand in my class.

Hi David:
Excellent! I think when students know where they're at on a frequent basis they're just going to do better. I also think this gives the instructor an additional opportunity to converse with the student and encourage, recognize, or offerr suggestions for improvement. Usually, this will reinforce the positive relationship the tyeachers can cultivate with their students too.

Regards, Barry

I agree Barry, this can become an oportunity to redirect a student that has not done well by showing him where he is lacking and ways to overcome weaknesses.

Hi Ricardo:
That's great. I think our relationship with students can be very strong, especially if they are open to us.

Regards, Barry

I go over grades bi-weekly and the syllabus weekly. I feel that a informed student is a happy student. This is great for retention.

Hi Tonya:
Sounds good. I believe frequent sharing of grades is quite helpful and we get to not only share suggestions and advide, but can add encouragement and support and make the student feel good about making progress.

Regards, Barry

It is hard for me to do that. The school determines how much something is worth and you enter it in the electronic spreadsheet. It's hard to evaluate when you don't have all the grades in. For example, most crucial (higher point values) are in the last week. Up until that point they are all showing F's. Some know how to figure out their grades and others just work by a point system and not the grade weight. It's a hard concept for some to understand. It pains me when they just ask, "Did I pass?" I want them to strive for an A, not a passing grade.

Hi Laura:
I use an electronic gradebook, but I can choose to show grades progressively or cumulatively (which gives a grade based on earned points vs total points -which is what yours apparently does).

Even if we can only estimate a grade, we always offer or caring concern, encouragement, and support, along with advice and suggestions for improvemnt. All this should be done early on. and frequently, if possible, so corrective action can take place.

Regards, Barry

It gives you a chance to see if any student is doing poorly and to advise him of his progress

Hi Joseph:

By consistently allowing students to have an idea of how they are doing in class, they have the chance to make changes in study habits as soon as possible. By doing this, they promote a more successful outcome for themselves by the end of the course.

Regards, Barry

In the classes I teach, the students have an oppurtunity to earn 2 creditials. The scores for those 2 creditials are their grade. So, I use quizes 3 days before each post test. This lets the student and I both were their at.

Sign In to comment