Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Jason:
Informing of their status and then giving them options is good as it holds the student accountable. Keeping up to date periodically is perfectly fine as students should know approximately how they're doing at any given time anyway.

Regards, Barry

We have 8 chapter tests in addition to the End of Course test and they get their cumulative score the same day they take each test.
This way they allways know where they stand and what they need to do to maintain the score they want for the course.
It also allows me to know how they are progressing and if any additional halp may be needed.

all the time.if a student does poorly on a test,i will coach them or try to find out what happend,that way it may not happen again.keeping students informed helps them syat focused on the course and there highs and lows of it.

My type of class has two or three subjects. Each subject has a written exam and a hands-on task. The student will know the result of their written test immediately because passing the written exam is a prerequisite to the hands-on task.

Students need to keep track of their grades. Since I give tests and grade as soon as we are done the student can enter his grade in his work book. The only time I talk to students about their grade is if their grades are low and they need to work alittle harder to pass the course.

When ever we have a Quiz. It seems to give the students a good idea where they stand and what they can expect.

Anytime you feel it is beneficial to the students progress!

Hi Jeff:
Instantaneous test results should be very helpful to students. As you say, they will always be up to date regarding their test scores.

Regards, Barry

Hi Timothy:
Great. What you describe must take additional and valuable time - effort that could be put into other important job responsibilities. Your students should appreciate the generous use of your time on their behalf.

Regards, Barry

Hi Richard:
Yours is a good variation of what many instructors use for grading their student performance. Good way for the student to get a sense of their performance and where they stand in the class.

Regards, Barry

Hi C.C.:
When a teacher gives a student time and attention, as you do when they need some advice and/orencouragement, the student will feel that you are there to help them be successful. Thats a good feeling shared by bothe the instructor and student alike.

Regards, Barry

Hi Steve:
Sometimes students will want more than grades but seek an opinion from their instructor about how they're doing. If the teacher has time, this is an excellent time to bond some with the student, demonstrate some personal interest, and share how they can be more succesful.

Regards, Barry

James:
Yes - but, sometimes the teachers anytime is not enough as the the students anytime. What I mean is it is good to be sensitive to individual students and try to be there for them. Some students are more willing to share their feelings or ask for help - so it good to be sensitive to the student need.

Regards, Barry

I follow up with my students every time we take a test or a lab exercise. I coach them on where they had misses so they can learn from it. If you tell them where they are, how will they know to get there?

Hi James:
I get your meaning. Coahing represents good basic teaching skills and a willingness to take an interest in the student and their learning. Guiding them to the "goal" is what we should do, however that is accomplished.

Regards, Barry

I like to give my student’s a printed progress report of their grade status on a weekly basis. When we are down to the last week it sometimes becomes a daily update. I do this to stimulate the procrastinators to get going because if they don’t keep up with their assignments along with the other student’s then their grade rapidly falls. Having a report showing time out from class and missing assignments usually gets a student back on track to meeting his or her goals. Using the reports in a timely way also identifies students that may have outside issues that we could assist them with.

Hi Michael:
Your effort to stay current by informing students of their progress should really help keep the procrastinators on their toes.

Regards, Barry

In the courses I teach the students are given two tests to determine if they pass or fail. They are told of their score the same day of the exam. The students evaluate their progress through lab stations which are done on a regular basis. These lab stations are used to support the class objectives and are always reviewed on the class meeting after the lab. This helps the students evaluate if they are grasping the course material.

Hi Leonardo:
It sounds like you or your school has devekoped a sound method to keep track of the students progress, and for the students to know where they stand fairly regularly. I think an important component of successful courses is the opportunity for students to know their progress continuously throughout the course.

Regards, Barry

In our course,we only have a few tests.Somtimes the students will ask what their grade will be,and I am happy to give it to them.Otherwise, if they do bad on a test,I will share with them what it means on their final grade,and if they are in jeopardy of failing the course.Either way,I believe they should be on top of it,and know where they stand.

Sign In to comment