Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I use my own electronic grade book along with the schools version. It is set up so that I can easily show students when they request it how they are doing It also is set up to flag me if their test scores or their attendance or professionalism warrants attention. In FORD we only have one test at the end of each credential class, so our group has made up quizzes that can be used to check their progress. Also we closely monitor their progress while they are in lab and have them not only tell us the diagnosis but HOW they arrived at that diagnosis.

Hi David:
Sounds like you've goy a good system at work there. I like the critical thinking "how" the diagnosis was made component.

Regards, Barry

I share a students cumulative grade any time they ask for it or if they are struggling and are in danger of failing the course.

By letting a student know their grade average is low a student can get the help they need early on to prevent a course failure .

This is done at the end of each lesson.It shows you how each student is picking up each new area and where you might have to do some extra training or direct him or her to the best area to get a better understanding of the subject matter. This benefits both instructor and students for you to improve your training method and the student of areas they may need help before the final test.

I generally try to let students know where they stand grade wise for both quizes and lab at the middle of a 3 week course. This gives me an opportunity to get them tutoring help if they haven't signed up for it yet. It also allows the ones that are doing well to know that their grades are reflecting that.I feel this benefits both the struggling student and the one that is doing well by by making them aware of where they stand grade wise so they aren't surprised by the grade they receive at the end of the course. It also gives the struggling ones a notice that tney need to improve to pass the course and the tools that are available to them to assist them in that endeavor.

Hi Thomas:
Good. Keeping students up to date is helpful for yours and your students planning. It also is an act of courtesy that students appreciate.

Regards, Barry

Hi Lyle:
I think the timing you describe is just about right, given the time you have with your students. No one likes surprises. Also, we want to be able to intervene if someone is starting to fall behind.

Regards, Barry

I encourage my students to keep a record of their test scores. I provide the total on the first day of class. Students can gauge how they are doing at any time. I will discuss grades if any student requests. I always advise any student that is falling behind the class, so we can devise a plan for success.

Hi Bernard:
Great! The key for any responsible student is to regularly check their performance so that they can getv the help they need if they begin to fall behind.

Regards, Barry

I share with the individual student on the fith day of the course again on the tenth day and last on end course at the beginning of the day.It is a benefit to me because I can see how the progress of the class is going as a whole and individual, also it benefits the student to know were they are in class and what to prepare for better.

I share the cumulative scores as they request them or when a student is in jeopardy. I use the current grade book progress report feature weekly to help students track their own progress. I also give the students a grading sheet that I sign and date as they update it after each quiz or test. This way they have their own record. This helpes me coach a student before it is too late to turn their grades around if they are in trouble. It also allows me the opportunity to ask them what happened which sometimes leads to outside issues that we could assist them with. For the students, seeing their grades often serves as a motivation to do better and meet their goals.

Hi Louis:
Good. Regular frequent communication with students regarding their grades helps all concerned: instructors, students, administration.

Regards, Barry

Hi Gregory:
Weekly grade reports that are generated automatically is very cool. Your individual oversight of the process probably catches weaker students from falling too far behind and earlier intervention. Yes, good motivation for the students.

Regards, Barry

I try and review grades at the end of each week. This allow any questions concerning grades to be adressed at this time. It also allows the student to ask questions on an individual basis.It also lets me see if a student is falling behind. I also tell them they need to keep track of their grades so we can see if they match each week in case i make a mistake.

I will let a student look at their grade any time they would like to see it or ask questions about their progress. I will also moniter their progress weekly so if they are in trouble we can offer them a tutoring program before its to late. This can help the instructor understand any areas the student is struggling in and help the student be successful.

Hi Jerry:
Good plan. Giving students current information about their performance will give them a guide to where to focusd their attention, and will contribute to your relationship with them too. Here's an opportunity to share ways they could improve or recognize them for outstanding performance!

Regards, Barry

The way the courses are laid out that I teach I share grades with each test. This keeps the student informed and focused on the task at hand. This has allowed me to motivate and coach students that are both succeeding and strugleing.

I will share their scores if they ask,or if they have failed a test I willspeak with them after class.the benefit to me is one on one with the student away from class, they open up and then I know whats going on with them. 99% of the time the student comes away with a better understanding of me and me of them. win-win.

Hi Chuck:
You're right - this time to discuss a students grade is prime to reach them - at a time their asking "how'm I doing?". I believe instructors can motivate dring grade sharing.

Regards, Barry

Hi James:
I agree - win-win. That's a good thing nearly every time.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment