Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Daniel:
You've got a good system there and I think the students will appreciate your personal attention to keeping informed where they stand in the class.

Regards, Barry

We have only three written test and three lab test in our course. But, we do a review of the daily labs and this allows the students to see what they did not understand and correct their understanding of that subject. After the second test, I tell the class to add the two scores, (the first test and then second test) together and divide the total in half. This will allow them to see their standing towards the find grade and what they need to obtain on the last test to gain the grade average they are looking for the course. Some times a student will come and ask for assistance in understanding where he or she stands in the grading. So, each student has a running grade of their progress in this course.

Hi,
I call the student aside when I see sevens or less even if it is the first test of the course,this shows the student and the class you are watching grades and lets them know at getgo their stats and that you are there to help them if they need it, The benefit is that class now sees a you as someone there to make sure they get through a ph and that you will work with them when when needed.
Thanks
Hank

Hi Hank:
I agree with you that it's possible for students to view their instructor as someone who is willing to listen to them if they need help, and help them complete course to the student's maximum capacity. Those instructors who do not provide that environment are missing a golden opportunity to reach out their students.

Regards, Barry

Hi Robin:
Sounds like you've found a creative method to grade your students work. Good instructors are always willing to take the time to share grades with their students. The nice thing is I think in most cases this strengthens the student-teacher relationship.

Regards, Barry

I find that at lest once a week is the best. And I want to do it one on one. If a student wants to know their grade at any time I try not to turn them away.
The most obvious reason is I need my students to feel good about what they are doing or have a good understanding of what they are not doing while there is still time to correct it.

After each test I’ll make a point to talking with students that are not doing well to see if they need any extra help. I find that most students that need, and even want some extra attention will not ask if you don’t make contact first. But when the help is offered they will say yes. This helps me by seeing to it that as many students are successful in my class as is possible

Hi Jeff:
Great plan! You give your students attention and information. Even when students arn't doing their best they appreciate the effort good teachers give them, especially if they feel the instructor is there to help them. Of course, this time gives you an opportunity to stay abreast of your students performance as well.

Regards, Barry

Hi Salvatore:
Your're right that sometime students need a little urging - then watchout for the flood gates to open! Your willingness to offer your help is a something good instructors have learned to master while not controlling all of thier time.

Regards, Barry

I have found that both at-risk students and advanced students want to know how they are doing in class. At the start of the course I will inform the students that I will give them up-dates on grades (hours, test, labs and down grades). At that time I will coach any students who were at risk of failure.

Hi John:
Good process, John. Your students will learn where they stand in the class, and you get an opportunity to discuss ways to improve their grade.

Regards, Barry

I will share individual grades with individual students at least 2 times per phase. My ideal is 3 times a week.

Hi Dennis:
Wow! Three times a week. That's great. My college allows students to go online 24/7 and view grades up to that moment in time. But this is just the student viewing their grade. To take the time to discuss grades with students, that's something altogether different.

Regards, Barry

Students are advised at the start of the course that they (the student) should be responsible for and keep track of his/her grades at the time of each test. If the student has reason to view his progress, then a question to the instructor can give him/her the information from the electronic grade book.

Three times through out the courts I let the students know where they are and if they are having trouble I try to fined a way to help, we try to set goal for them

Hi Rich:
Good. Holding students responsible to keep track of their grades is just as important as the course content itself. But willing to discuss their grade is terrific!

Regards, Barry

Hi Kenneth:
Frequent progress reports will assist students understand their progress and where they need to put in extra work if applicable.

Regards, Barry

Their tests score are known to the students as soon as they are graded. Shop/lab scores are graded as completed and can also be know if the student requests them. Most do not I ahve found, but none the less are available. For the most part they want to know where they stand in class vs shop.

Hi Dean:
However its broken down, students are usually interested in whether they're passing, what grade they're getting. Grades are more important to some students more than others. Being available to share grades is usually appreciated by students.

Regards, Barry

I let a student know that they are at risk if they fail a test. I talk about their options for studying and tutoring, and let them decide what they want to do about it. I also give them their cumulative grade after their last regular exam before the end phase. I tell them how many points they need, and what make up tests they need to take.
I think that giving them reports more frequently has a tendancy to let them slack off, but I think that they need to be able to compare what they have with what I have before the last day so that we can resolve any issues.

Sign In to comment