Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

student retention

This is probably a question that has been debated many many times, but here it is. To what length should an instructor be expected to travel to keep a student from dropping out of school? This question has been a large part of my thinking for a while after I expeirienced some things I feel were immoral and unethical.

Hi Roy,
There are many factors that play into how far an instructor should go to keep a student in school. First the course content and training cannot be compromised. The standards have to be maintained so the student will be trained at the level employment is possible. There are many instructional supports that can be used to encourage student growth and help with remedial skills. These are appropriate to implement. To keep a student in the class just to keep an enrollment is not ethical for anyone. The student is not going to succeed and the college will be hurt in the long run.
Help all that you can to keep a student in class. Encourage, support and recognize the student in order to develop rapport so the student will want to remain in school. Beyond that they will have to take personal responsibility for their success.
Gary

A student is our customer and it is our resonsibility to ensure the student is getting the education they pay for. Many are here not by their choosing and feel lost being away from home and friends.This effects their learning ability by not staying focused. It is the instructors responsibility to seek out any student who is struggling in class and give them the attention and help they require to be successful in school as well as in life.This small show of concern sometimes sways the student who is debating quiting school.

Hi Scott,
Well said. You give an excellent profile of why certain students are on the bubble in terms of staying in school or are not fitting into the instructional setting.
Thanks.
Gary

At our school, our instructors are judged on their retention. We are taught to "coach and council" the students. When my students are late, or miss class I always find out why. I express genuine concern, not just because my manager will scald me if they quit. For students with problems waking up, I've had other students set up a wake up call network with them. If they have car trouble, we make it a class project to repair. Just making them happy about being in class makes them stay.

Hi Joseph,
You make a number of very good points about how to retain students. The key is the personal touch so the students will see you as a caring and concerned instructor. Your examples show how you model those concerns. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I called a student the day after school shut down because of snow. He told me he houred out I told him I had great news school closed therefore no time charged he didn't hour out.He then told me he lived an hour away and that he couldn't make it.Once again I explained that traffic was so slow that day that the first half hour wasn't going to be counted.To get to the point the student showed up he now has eleven and half hours out and has been on time for the last week and a half.I believe that one phone call to show him we cared about him may save this student. he comes by my office everyday to say hi I counldn't ask for anything better.Save one student at a time until we get them all.

Hi Cecil,
Great story. Thanks for sharing it with the forum participants. That is the key for teaching showing that you care. In this case it really worked to the benefit of everyone. Keep up the good work.
Gary

It is also my experience that a simple phone call or e-mail can turn some students around. Additionally, they seem to indirectly be motivated to participate in class more. I have found they raise their hand and volunteer more often after I have "reached out".

Hi Ilene,
You make a good point about reaching out to students. They need it no matter what age they are. They like to know someone cares.
Gary

I tottally agree , a student is also a customer and these days everything is handled as a business , so as good business people we must give them our best to keep them interested and motivated to continue with their studies .

Hello All,

I am with Roy at what costs do we sell out? I agree that we are running the bussiness of education but when do we say there is moral deficiency in this student that may never be corrected. When do we start making the student responsible?

Hi Patrick,
A career college had to maintain the standards of the business or industry for which they are preparing students because if they don't they won't be in business very long. On the other hand students have to be responsible for themselves since the career college can only offer instruction. The college and the instructors can be supportive and dedicated to quality instruction but the student has to decide if he or she will take advantage of the learning opportunities that are presented. If they don't then they should be help responsible for the consequences. They have no one else to blame.
Gary

Sign In to comment