Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

The advantages of e-learning and group assignments

As a recent online graduate, I found working with groups and corresponding electronically had many advantages. Because many of us were in different time zones, we found it helpful to post the times we would be online. This allowed for those who could "chime in" to do so. Another advantage was we worked together to divide up sub assignments for group assignments and assigned a specific time in which we were to have our individual contributions in. This constant logging in allowed our instructor to see who was really participating and who was not. Third, I learned how to work cooperatively with people I have never seen before. If you can do well in this type of arena, imagine what you can do face-to-face.

Is e-learning the issue or students' lack of computer skills?

One thing that I notice in my traditional classroom setting is that most students, even adult learners have what it takes to acquire a certain set of skills, provided that they are well explained by the instructor. What some lack, in regards to adult learners, is computer literacy. Therefore, I am willing to say, that any course can be taught online. The problem will lie in the students' ability to navigate through the computer learning fields. Some students will probably prefer to have a physical person present to help them when they come to a crossroad. Others, who are computer literate and/or high achievers, are willing to figure it out. That's where good tutorials can come in hand.

Managing Discussion Topics

All the discussion topics for subjects that l teach are done in the asynchronous mode. A requirement is that every student post to the discussion forum several responses relevant to the topic. Every student is given the opportunity to express their opinion both personally and academically and comment to each others posts. Do you feel this method is limiting to a avoidant learning style type of student.

What are the diffinite advantages of Asynchronous discussions

Setting a time frame for asynchronous discussions has treetous value in establishing,influencing, inspiring and connecting with your students.Establishing a specific time to do a required on-line chat can be effect method in establishing this.

Conveying the Difference Between Attendance and Participation

“Attendance versus Participation” This is a subject for clarification on the first day whether online or in the class. Students have a misconception about Attendance and Participation. Coming to class or signing on to the online class is "Attendance." Some believe their mere physical presence in the course warrants a grade of 100% for "Participation", because, "I was in class...." This is very indicative of the compare and contrast in commitment levels. Therefore, before I render a final opinion about this; let us take a moment for introspection. Please remember this exercise, because your class will be a mirror-image of you. One of my favorite anecdotes or modern parables is the difference in commitment between the pig and the chicken. The chicken contributes eggs to the farmer everyday - then spends the rest of the day, pecking and scratching around the barnyard. The commitment is daily, nonchalant and painless. The pig makes but one contribution. The farmer wakes up very early one day during the right time of the year with the intent to slaughter the pig. The pig gives of his whole being to participate with the farmer. The pig's commitment is all or nothing! Without sounding gauche, ask yourself, as an educator, "Am I a chicken or a pig?" "Do I lay an egg in class, everyday or do I give of myself completely?" Whether you want to answer the question, your students already know the answer! (Think about that for a moment.......) They know who is in the classroom for a check and who is in the classroom to impact lives, positively. We cannot expect a student to give more in the online classroom than we devote in time and honing of talent. The student will discern whether we are engaged with the online class or looking at the clock. The student will discern whether our responses are the product of thoughtful process or a cut-n-paste from a prior class. CONCLUSION “Attendance” is showing up in the classroom prepared for coursework. “Participation” is rendering initial material; receiving feedback; and then substantiation or relegation to a new perspective on the subject du jour. This process is cyclical for each student. If we approach the class with enthusiasm and salutations to each student, then they will develop a willingness to engage all members of the class. Independently, they will reach for a higher level of understanding of the material. The end result will be a "Participation" mindset - without us wasting time with prompts.

What is the desired level of competency for the student?

Can any course be taught online? Presently, I will have to say, "No." This is a conditional response based upon two realizations: 1. The level of technology in online programs. 2. The expected skills that can be applied after the course. 1 The level of technology in online programs The multi-media and games design industry have given the educational industry an opportunity to capture the attention and interest of this computer generation. I have witnessed a number of very interactive exercises that use bowling, crossword puzzles, war games, gameshow templates to entertain the user. If we, as educators, fail to align ourselves with the change in education, we will enable students to fail in teaching them how to perceive and receive techniques for learning new concepts. We have witnessed the decline in enthusiasm in the classroom at all levels. The education industry needs to employ the same technology that excites the student when they run home to do GameBox and other applications. Education must walk hand-in-hand with the evolution of the visual arts. Education must be deliverable in each venue available to students: Blackberry I-PODs Text messaging 2. The expected skills that can be applied after the course Secondly, the educational administrator has to decide what skills can be developed in this online forum. The key to success is to be able to deliver the lesson in each of the three learning styles: Visual Auditory Kinesthetic The Department of Defense uses simulation techniques that require the use of all senses for success. The education industry needs to make the same type of investment to create a virtual simulation option via the online environment. Some disciplines can be taught very readily. Humanities and Arts, Math, History, Business, etc. can be taught as in the classroom. These are visual classes that can develop the students' talents. The impasse comes when the discipline requires an inordinate amount of kinesthetic exercises. It is difficult to teach Mechanics, Surgery, Dentistry, Electronic Maintenance, etc. without having the actual tools in hand. These arts require a tactile quality that cannot be reproduced, currently. (How would you feel about your Dentist never having touched inside of a real mouth…..and you are next?) Although oxymoronic, the more realistic the virtuality becomes, the easier it will be to address the next challenge for the multi-media and games design industry. "Make it real!" It is possible that the education industry could partner with the other industry to contribute to the research and development of these future tools. This would cut down the cost of the programs for the education industry. This brings us full-circle back to the original conditional response. As the technology becomes available the percentage of classes that can be delivered in the online environment will increase, exponentially.

Methods to Stimulate Discussion

In the courses I am teaching, there is a Discussion Board requirement. The student response to these has been anything but overwhelming. I am looking for ideas that I can use as the instructor (but not developer/designer of the discussion questions) to get students more motivated. About half of the questions are close-ended (yes or no), but the other half could stimulate some healthy discussion. Thank you for whatever help you can provide. Jennie

Addressing Time Zone and other differences

I am in a situation where I have students in three time zones. Does anyone have suggestions for synchronous discussion or chat sessions that would best include all of the students? Thank you, Jennie

Managing students...

In most online courses, students have the freedom to study whenever they want as long as they adhere to established deadlines for completing learning activities, assignments, and assessment measures. As such, is it true to say that it takes less effort to manage students in an e-learning environment than it is in a traditional classroom environment? Justify your answer.

Learning online...

Would students learn as much or more in an online course than they would in the same course delivered in a traditional instructor-led classroom setting? Explain your answer.

Getting to know your students...

Would you lose the ability to really get to know your students in an e-learning environment? Provide a rationale for your answer.

Can any course be taught online?

Are there some courses that cannot be effectively taught online? Justify your answer.